under our breath

burning the midnight oil with the resonant echoes of seoho as white noise, geonhak scribbles the ending conclusion to their joint assignment due the upcoming week. better now than later, he believes.

without a doubt, geonhak awaits his ear getting talked off the coming morning as seoho would yell over the loud shower about the project being a shared effort for the reason; and geonhak would simply tune him out and smile as the cascading droplets would fall to his face.

many times if not a handful, a stinkingly drained geonhak would return to the dorms from his training sessions dreading the nonstop incoming emails from their professors for their upcoming submissions. a pleasant surprise was when he would wake up before the early songs of the bird to at least research for said assignments but instead found another email with a whole list of links and attachments in his inbox along with a smile emoticon.

sent by lee seoho.

maybe he should have been more strict with him, felt a little more anger upon seeing the same devil sitting dead centre on his bed after returning from his early morning training sessions but all dissipated, his mind going blank (probably from the fatigue) as soon as he plopped down beside him. his head soon hit the pillow.

"well, you sure stink," seoho pinched his nose as he shoved geonhak away from his own bed, "at least take a shower first."

"make me," he retaliated, aiming one of the cushions straight at seoho.

hidden behind his shrewd and calculating eyes, seoho was kind and caring; and sure, those should be one of the key qualities in the future king but these ones in him were pure. not honed from years of living and learning in royalty but inbuilt within and as fragile as a feather, withstanding any sort of taint from the cruel world.

geonhak is the one honoured with protecting this soul- no, not protecting- harbouring such purity within himself. he has been given the opportunity to live again by virtue of this same purity.

and he is grateful to all possible extents.

for now, seoho has not been thrust into the battlefield so he helps him in the little things.

as the fading blue screen illuminates the corner of the room, geonhak scrolls through the heap of messages nagging him, sliding them off one by one until his thumb hovers over a bunch of text threads from dongju.

"shit," he curses even before following through with the first letter of the sentence, holding his temples tightly within his grasp in recollection of the numerous occurrences of constant nagging reminders from the other's end for the entirety of every second of the previous week. in the end, he did forget about youngjo's graduation party.

asking for pitiful forgiveness over the phone especially at this hour would without a doubt sour dongju's unimaginable sour mood and so geonhak simply returns the darkness to his screen, laying it cautiously on top of the bedside beside before jumping within the warmth of the comforter.

guilt may not allow him to have a sound nap with the puffed crimson cheeks of dongju, foot taps against the marble increasing in frequency with every passing second as he waited for geonhak's sorry ass to grace him with his presence together next morning.

allowing for seoho to indulge in his well deserved rest, geonhak attempts to keep any squeaks to a minimum as he slides inside the comforter while also praying that if he were to get even a single shred of sleep, it would be enough to hold down the storm he was scheduled to endure tomorrow.

-~-

to his own surprise, geonhak finds sleep. a little too heavy too.