nine.

CHAPTER NINE
squad beef

Hakeem

Hakeem didn't eat breakfast; he stormed out right behind Cookie because he was pissed. He wasn't getting a GED. Cookie needed to get herself a J-O-B and mind her business! And not at Empire.

Hakeem would have Lucious talk some sense into Cookie, but he didn't he would. He was letting Cookie run everything lately, when he said that wouldn't happen. So maybe Ro was right about him. Maybe he was a liar.

He was still Hakeem's favorite parent though. His only parent.

Hakeem got some food before he caught a ride to Empire Entertainment. He would always tell Lucious to buy him a car, but he was too worried about Jamal's condo. Because of Cookie.

Hakeem ate his food as he walked into Empire Entertainment. Blake was immediately waiting for him. "Yo, you good? You have anger radiating off of you."

"Na, I'm not good. That deadbeat is doing the most."

"What'd she do?"

"She wants me to get a GED because I dropped out."

Blake furrowed his eyebrows. "What's a GED?"

Hakeem looked at him in confusion. "You really don't know what a GED is?"

"Am I supposed to...?"

"Don't you have one?"

Blake shook his head. "Nope. I dropped out like you. I'm done with school for the rest of my life."

"Okay, a little advice? Don't tell my sister you dropped out," Hakeem warned.

"Why?"

"Because she'll never like you. She takes school seriously."

"But who said-"

Hakeem cut him off. "I know you like her, Blake. You don't have to lie."

"And...you're cool with it?" Blake asked slowly.

He was cool with it. "I know you're a good guy. If you weren't, you wouldn't be my best friend. So yeah, I'm cool with it."

Blake relaxed. "Do you think I have a chance?"

"As long as you don't tell her you dropped out." Then Hakeem got back on track. "Anyway, the GED is an alternative to a high school diploma."

"Oh, that's good. You should do it."

"If Lucious wanted me to do it, then fine. But I'm not listening to that deadbeat. She can't stroll in here seventeen years later and tell me what to do."

Speaking of strolling in, Tiana strolled by and didn't say a word. Hakeem wasn't feeling that, so he called her out. "Well damn, Tiana. No hi?"

Tiana spoke to Blake only. "Hey, Blake."

"Oh, so I don't exist?"

"Not anymore." Then Tiana turned to walk off.

Hakeem shouted after her. "Yo! What's your problem?!"

Tiana swiveled around hastily. "I think you're the one with the problem, Hakeem!"

"I'm not the one with the attitude!"

Tiana spoke mockingly. "Sorry. I know what type of time guys like you are on, and I'm not dealing with it." Then she left, and Hakeem was mad because those were the same exact words he had said to Royalty. About Tiana. Royalty fucking snitched on him.