Chapter 9

"storm"

Andrew's POV

Andrew's POV

"Dad, can I use the car?" I asked while he sat there on the chair looking at his phone. He didn't look up so I spoke again. "Dad, did you hear me?"

He quickly typed something and hit a button before he lifted his head and looked at me. "I'm sorry did my son just ask if he could use the car?" yeah my brilliant idea didn't end well. "Of course he didn't because he would know my answer after his stupid stunt."

"Dad I'm sorry ok. I know it was stupid to pull something off like that but I think being grounded for a few-" I was interrupted by my dad's chair from getting up too quickly. I backed up a little as he made his way towards me.

"No, you don't think, that's the problem. Was this prank just a way for you to get attention?" I looked at him with a little bit of fear. "It was wasn't it, well maybe you should have thought about it before telling your mother about me,"

My jaw clenched before words came out of my mouth. "And I don't regret it a single bit, " I responded to my father before he gave me a look and shoved me into the wall. I looked at him before I pushed him off and ran to my room, not saying anything else. I stayed in my room for the rest of the day not wanting to even bump into him outside my space so I stayed inside. Eventually, it got dark out and I laid in bed feeling my backache as it hit the mattress. I ignored the pain and continued with my mission to fall asleep which finally happened after a while.

The next morning I went downstairs to find my dad making breakfast. Which is normal for his pity special. I was about to turn back to go upstairs but a voice spoke up. "Hey, look who's awake!" I just stood there for a moment before he talked again. "Come on sit down, it's only respectful to eat food that someone made you." I almost scoffed when he said the word respectful. Like he knows anything about that. I sat at the table when he placed the plate in front of me. He did the same from the opposite side and sat down. "So about yesterday, I think it's known to say that you've served your punishment," he said looking at me trying to see a reaction but I just raised my eyebrows and nodded slowly while picking at my food. "I don't need the car today so you can use it, " handing me the keys.

"Uh, " before I could say anything else my phone made a sound. I looked at who texted me seeing the name 'Lucas' on my phone. I read the text and responded back. I got up from my seat and cleared my dish. I grabbed my jacket, wincing a little when I adjusted it. I heard the sound of keys dangling turning around seeing my dad holding them. "You can keep them." he looked at me with a defeated expression. "See you later dad." 

═════ ◈ ═════

I whistled seeing the red automobile in the driveway. "Nice car, " I said catching Lucas's attention.

"Hey man, " he greeted me then started looking around. "Did you walk?" he asked with a curious tone and I nodded. "You could've just asked me to give you a ride I don't mind."

I shook my head, "Eh it's alright I need the workout anyways. So how's the job of getting it to start?" I asked looking at the car closely.

He walked up next to me before he talked. "I don't think it's the battery, it's probably just the starter I think. Lemme check, " he said climbing into the driver seat as my phone went off with a notification. I got my phone out of my pocket seeing a message and scoffed when I read it.

"Ouch, I wasn't expecting that welcoming, " seeing Brooke climb out of the passenger side. When did she get there? I laughed at what she said and hugged her, she wrapped her hands around my back squeezing. And as I response I flinched breaking up our hug. She gave me a worried complexion as a reaction. "Are you okay?" she asked hearing her concern for me. I gave a small smile and a nod.

She was about to speak up again until Lucas's voice broke out. "I was just getting started."

Brooke and I turned to face the girl seeing her worried expression. "What's wrong?" Brooke asked the girl.

"I'm just worried about my dad," Peyton said.

The girl wanted to show us something upstairs and we followed her. We made it up to her room, the trio going towards her computer while I just looked around her room. "Okay I checked online and now they're saying it's a category 3 hurricane."

"Alright, and you already checked on the webcam right?" Lucas asked her.

"Yeah, it's out, " she confirmed leaning on her desk.

"Well, maybe he turned it off." Brooke said trying to be optimistic.

"Or the storm did it for him," Peyton responded.

"Yeah but storms knock that kind of thing out all the time, right? Anyway, aren't dredging boats huge." Lucas spoke still trying to calm Peyton down.

"He wouldn't be on the dredging boat. Right now, if there's a storm headed his way, he'd be on this little tiny transport heading back to shore and that's what worries me." Peyton told us. The conversation ended with him telling Peyton not to worry and that was that.

═════ ◈ ═════
"Pizza is here!" I said loud enough for everyone in the house to hear me. But to my surprise, it was only Brooke who appeared in the kitchen. "Hey, where are Lucas and Peyton?" I asked her.

"Peyton received a call about her dad's transport missing and they found a body so Peyton went and so did Lucas." saying the last portion a little slow. I could tell how worried she was about them both leaving. "Anyways, everything will be fine right Andrew?" she asked for reassurance.

"Yeah of course it's probably just a false alarm," I told her as she agreed with me. She looked at the pizzas on the table then at me with a look. "What? I thought you guys would be hungry after a long day." she was still looking at me unphased by my comment. "Ok fine I was the hungry one but food is food," I said as she laughed while she got herself a slice.

Time went on and it was getting near midnight. Brooke was near to falling asleep but then my phone rang which made her jump up and 'answer' the house phone but soon realized it was my phone and sighed before laying back on the couch. I laughed as I left the room to answer my phone. "Hello, mom,"

Mom: Hi sweetie sorry if I'm bothering you but I haven't called recently and I just wanted to check up on you?

Me: uh yeah everything is going... good.

Mom: What was that pause? Andrew if you-

Me: It's good mom really I'm fine. Everything is good you don't have to worry.

Mom: You live with your dad that doesn't exactly give me a chance to be calm.

Me: I know but it's going okay

Mom: Ok I'm going to trust your word. Well, I have to get going but just call if you need anything.

Me: I will now go before I make you late for your date.

Mom: Who said it was a- you know what never mind. Bye, Love you

Me: Bye, and love you too

The phone conversation ended and I went back to where Brooke was. She was trying to get comfortable on the sofa. "You know you can head up to the room I can stay by the phone."

"You don't have to stay I know you probably have something better to do," she said.

"Nope, nothing just a free day. But if you want to have an uncomfortable sleep be my guest,"

She jumped back up from the couch with her blanket wrapped around her. "You know the bed does sound better. Goodnight!" She exclaimed running up the stairs as a smile just took over my face. What is with this girl?