𝟑𝟒| 𝐌𝐫 𝐍𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭'𝐬 𝐈𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐬

-𝐇𝐄𝐑-

"Those are rings of Saturn," He whispered huskily in my ear, sending a shiver down the length of my spine. Something fluttered in my stomach. Maybe it was a butterfly or some rats trying to fly.

I was as stiff as a piece of wood at that point. I couldn't focus on the rings of Saturn. At that moment I could be only aware of his hot breath tickling the back of my ear before playing with my golden locks; how he was standing right behind me and if I were to straighten up on the seat then I would most likely hit him; how his huge hand still remained on my small one positioned over a regulator. I didn't know that it could be turned further.

All of a sudden, I felt this sudden urge to turn my face and look at it to see if there was some emotion on it or was it still void because his voice sounded full of emotions— which was unlike him. Though, just before I was turning my face towards him, I had to stop because the tip of his nose brushed against my cheek ever so gently that my soul was on the verge of leaving my body.

This was the closest I had gotten to him.

Quite literally and with every passing moment, I became aware of how if I turn my face then something even more dangerous might happen like our lips meeting each others'. I tried to shake these thoughts out of my head because I could feel heat traveling to my cheeks, no, my whole body seemed to grow hot with every passing second but he didn't move a bit and remained in the same position for a while.

If he didn't move soon then I might be in flames.

"Isn't it beautiful?" He asked with the same husky voice, adding more and more heat to my cheeks. I was grateful that he couldn't see them in the dark, "Galileo discovered them in 1610. Even though it looks like this a continuous disk, they consist of countless small particles which are made of water, ice, and rocky material," He informed me but whatever he spoke exited my head through my other ear because the only thing that I could focus on at that moment was how his hot breath was fanning against my neck and his deep voice sounded so husky, like the chime of wind, so melodious, enchanting and soothing.

"Oh," I breathed. I waited for him to berate me for being in his room at this hour and that too without his permission but he didn't say anything about that. Instead, I felt him adjust some more settings on this giant device while I watched as things focused and unfocused on the lense.

"That's Jupiter," He told me as I looked at the beautiful patterns on it. "If you're paying attention in the day and know where to look, you could even see it with your naked eyes,"

"With so much detail?"

"Of course not. Only this telescope would allow us to see the details," He commented, "The sky is surprisingly clear tonight. Look that's a..." He continued to show me other different Celestial bodies in the night sky. I could only sit there and watch everything with wonder.

He'd not only show them to me but also tell me in-depth about them, making me drown deeper and deeper into his deep velvety voice which was melancholically soothing for some reason. I was surprised that he had in-depth knowledge of the night sky. I loved to hear him talk about it.

It almost sounded like a lullaby while he spoke in my ear while showing me different Celestial bodies. Along with it, he taught me how to do certain settings on that device so that I could move its lens and focus it on things that were so far away from the earth.

I was starting to grow more and more fascinated with the device and how it could do such wonderful things. He continued to do so until the sky started to be clouded.

"How do you know so much about the night sky?" I asked him once he was done showing me everything that could be seen in that cloudy sky. I watched him as he stepped away from me and went to the small window opening to peer out at the night sky.

"I used to study it once,"

"So you were an astronomer before a watchmaker?" I asked. Even though it was an indirect question to dig out more about him, I knew that he instantly saw through it because he straightened up and put his hand in his pockets while casting me a look over his shoulder. It was dark so I couldn't see his face but I swear, I SWEAR, I saw his eyes having this under-glow in them for a split second.

"No," He answered, turning back. "I simply have interest in things that are beyond earth," He answered darkly.

"What else do you have interest in?" I asked him, leaning back in the chair and staring at his back. Outside, the moon had come out of the clouds momentarily, casting moonlight over him. His long shadow fell over me.

"Making things," He answered dryly, not bothering to add anything more to the list. Well, I knew that answer but I was actually expecting more but Mr. Night seemed to have no plans to be anything but a mystery to me.

"What do you make besides watches and... guns?" I asked him a bit daringly. He didn't answer for a moment.

"Many things,"

"Like what?" I pressed impatiently.

"Buildings, ships, carriages... whatever requires any kind of engineering. I mostly design things," his answer baffled me for a moment. It was certainly an important part of the puzzle to let me know bits about him but still, it was not enough.

"But if you make so many things, why are you known only as a watchmaker?"

"Because that's the only company that I have named after me. Others are a bit scattered. Only the people who know, know," He told me abruptly. His answer was somewhat confusing. Silence fell between us as I thought about it for a moment.

"Did you made that too?" I asked him, nodding at the device even though he couldn't see me.

"Yes,"

_

Vote. Comment. Share. Follow me

You could read up to chapter 41 on Patreon. The link is in my bio.

Updating schedule — Wednesday, Saturday

Thanks for reading ♥︎