𝐎𝐍𝐄

"CAREFUL! I DONT WANT TO FUCK IT UP AND GET CAUGHT AGAIN!"

Finally released from her usual stint in detention, Veronica was eager to put the plan she'd spent the last two days concocting into action. Bracing herself, she jogged across the street to where the target of today's prank loomed.

The advertisement was unavoidable, plastered on a brick wall of the pharmacy. Tall figures stood in an arrow formation on the black background of the poster, power posing and smiling for the camera. Veronica recognized the girl standing in the center as Greta Keene, who had been put on her dads pharmacy advertisement for the last twelve years. Flanking Greta were other past pharmacy owners, recognizable by the same creepy grins on their faces.

It made Veronica want to barf. She figured since she was forced to see it every day, the least she could do was add her own artistic flair. Unfortunately, the poster was at least as tall as Veronica who was a proud five foot five, thank you very much—and well out of her reach. Which was where the stepstool on her back came in.

"This is gonna be fun," Veronica said as she unzipped her backpack. Immediately, two spray paint cans poked their heads out. "Do I even remember how to use these?" she asked, pulling out two of the smallest cans of spray paint she could find at the store.

Of course I do, Veronica thought, expertly popping the cap off with her hand. What's the plan?

"I think Greta could use some humbling," Veronica said, eyeing the girl in the very front, "Maybe some stupid faces?" She suggested.

Veronica pulled out the step stool and got to business.

The best part of this prank was by the time anyone found her latest work of art, she'd be long gone to the record store.

The first day out of school was the biggest out of all the holidays in Derry--a day of the very best hours that kept the sun fueled and ensured the safety of their normal life for the next three months. What had started as a sacred ritual three years ago was now an event that took over Veronica's life.

Like her parents, Veronica Bowers didn't have high expectations for herself. Ever since she was little, she had been an outcast, and having Henry Bowers as a brother didn't seem to help. She went to a public school and had boring homework and got bad grades from the age of seven. Whenever there was an emergency or disaster, it was usually because of Veronica.

Derry Middle School was held together with duct tape and glue, and the only uniform Veronica was ever given was awful lime green gym shorts and a gray T-shirt that didn't fit. While some people traveled around the world saving lives, the most interesting responsibility Veronica had was getting herself up in the morning without running into Henry or her father. She was tired of every privilege other kids received getting rubbed in her face.

Veronica used her nails to hook into the advertisement's canvas, giving her something to hold on to while she wielded the cans of spray paint and got to work.

"I'm getting good at this!" Veronica whispered, repeatedly banging the can on the wall as she sprayed light blue paint haphazardly across the beaming faces of the Keene family.

Veronica's focus was solely on Greta, making sure to give her funny faces. Nothing's as funny-looking as a cat!

The graffiti was messy and definitely looked like two birds had done it, but damn was it satisfying to see those smug expressions covered in Paint.

"Time for the final touch!" Veronica dug her pocket. She unfolded a piece of paper she'd scribbled on during detention. "Can I manage to write this across the top?"

Veronica held the paper while she tried her best to re-create the words. What Veronica produced was absolute gibberish. She laughed behind her hand.

"Veronica Bowers?"

Shit, I've been caught! Abort, abort!

The spray cans clattered to the ground as Veronica ran off, muttering under her breath all the way to the alleyway.

     Dreading who she'd see, Veronica turned towards the voice. Luckily, it was just Stanley, accompanied by a few of his friends in the first aid aisle.

     "What are you doing here?" Stanley asked.

     "Just running to meet a friend!" She said, securely yanking the zipper of her backpack shut before jogging to meet them.

     Stanley pursed his lips into a knowing look. "No you weren't."

     Veronica flashed him a toothy, not-at-all-innocent grin. "Well, now I am?"

     Eddie Kaspbrak chuckled nervously and waved her off. "Get going. And try not to go down that alleyway. It's covered in AIDS."

     Eddie had been like that since they were in preschool. His father had died when he was a baby, and his mom was busy with whatever mental disease she suffered from. So, Bill Denbrough and his friends had become his family. Even though he was thirteen now, they still looked after him. Sometimes a bit too closely.

     "I'm going right down that alleyway!" Veronica called over her shoulder as she darted to the other side of the pharmacy door.

     "Spoken like a true Bowers!" Eddie's voice carried after her.