𝘛𝘞𝘌𝘕𝘛𝘠-𝘚𝘌𝘝𝘌𝘕

Julie Molina was on the brink of tears.

The door through which she'd just fled shut loudly behind her, causing the slightest of jumps in her shoulders. It was soon followed by shaking similarly - once again causing her shoulders to rise and fall - but this time, warm tears accompanied it, slowly tracing paths along her cheeks. Her body shook in silent sobs. Whatever was going on in her mind, she could not put it into words if she tried.

She was alone, for right now. But the fear burning a hole through her stomach pondered wether or not this isolation was truly temporary.

Sunset Curve would not bail on her. Not on purpose, not when something so important was right in front of them - lingering shortly before their pleading grasp. And Elise - though she had no real evidence that the girl was not already with her - was present for everything. She was always here, supporting, smiling, loving. So why did Julie feel so empty? Standing in the ally as sun slowly set, she felt, for the first time since since her mother died, so completely alone.

People and cats passed by on the road not to far behind her - but they were not real. They couldn't be. She did not know them, she'd never share an interaction with these strangers. It somehow made her feel even more afraid - that these people had lives to live, people to love, while she simply was stuck. How could they be so real when she herself wasn't?

If she'd already lost her chance to say goodbye, if she'd come in second place, how could she live without giving an end to this story? Waiting for someone to pick up a pen and tell her was to do next - forever unwritten.. unsaid.

Her voice cracked when she pried her lips open, the tears only picking up pace. Her voice shook as her body did, and as her brain felt. "I don't know if you can hear me, mom, but.."

Her breath hitched and she had to push herself forward to continue, as if already she was ready to give up. "I can't handle it. And- and Flynn says you're behind everything, that you've been sending me signs, but I don't know anymore. If I was supposed to be helping the guys... I didn't."

She sucked in a breath. "They're gone. I couldn't save them. And Elise- this is my fault. I'm the reason she's trapped. And I'm so sorry. I messed everything up.

"They were my friends, my girlfriend. My band... my family. Why can't you just come pick me up, and- and hold me in your arms and tell me everything's going to be okay, and that I'm going to get through it and everything always works out. It's not fair, I miss you so much. And now, now everyone is gone. And it's all my fault. I just need you. Here."

Julie bowed her head, letting her tears drip to the ground beside her feet and allowing the sobs to take over. In the midst of confinement it was a rather freeing feeling; finally letting all of her pent up confusion and anger roam in places other than her weary brain. It felt almost as if her mother was standing beside her, she felt safe.

That's when she looked up to the sight of her mother's favorite flower. A woman stood to her left, facing the street, hand outstretched. Her smile had a warmth that spread over to Julie, who could feel the tension in her muscles lifting and a tiny smile forcing its way onto her face. The woman passed without a word, Julie examined the red flower in her hand. Beautiful, delicate, real.

A sign.

She exiled the tears from her face with a wipe of her sleeve, took a few controlled breaths before briskly walking back into the Orpheum. It was as if colors were brighter, lights shined just for her and her friends. And despite the chaos that had been brewing in her mind, her soul was at peace in every sense of the word.

She brushed past Flynn, who cheered at her reappearance and hushed the stage manager. With a smile on her face, she stepped into the lights and her eyes flew over the faces in the audience before her. Her nerves didn't rattle her as she expected they would. It felt as if this was where she was meant to be all along. Maybe she hadn't gotten it wrong - it felt like she was supposed to stand here in this very moment. This was destiny.