𝟑𝟗. ✭ 𝐓𝐎𝐑𝐄𝐘 ✭

"It's too bad this didn't go as planned. Remy, Ram, did you manage to bring them in?" They both smile sinisterly at Dedaj and I have an icy feeling spread throughout my veins.

"Am I missing something here, boss?"

"I couldn't tell you before, I was afraid The Watch might be paying attention, listening, but Dani is coming home tonight whether she likes it or not." I watch him intently not saying anything, seeing the seething irritation all over his features from the fact Dani just punched him in the face.

I was extremely proud of her in that moment. I thought I'd have to step in when I saw him take his suit jacket off and begin to roll his sleeves up. Fortunately for me, because of the training she'd done with my mother, I didn't have to. She took care of herself.

"How do you expect to get her to do that after what just happened?" Because I can tell you one thing and that's Dani isn't going anywhere with you willingly. Not after you fucking backhanded her. "Negotiations are done."

"Torey, you know there is always a backup plan and if negotiations don't go my way— I make them." He signals Remy and Ram and the two of them leave the room. "We've got weapons on deck. I've paid off a guard on one of the floors to take an extra long break and we've got someone taking care of the cameras as we speak." I know it's not that easy and there must've been some other dealings involved but why he hadn't told me about any of this doesn't sit with me all too fucking well. He usually asks for my advice in these matters and has me execute the tasks.

"If we're caught with weapons we'll be black-listed, bossman. I don't know if this is the best way of going about this." Plus, if anyone points a gun in Dani's direction I'm liable to kill them. "Maybe we should rethink this?"

"Rethink this? Drastic times call for drastic measures. If Dani doesn't want to listen to reason then she can listen to force. All she has is Brooks for protection. Put our numbers against one unarmed man?" He chuckles devilishly. "He won't be arguing." He doesn't know my parents are here but if they get involved then he'll know. He'll know I'm the man he's looking for, the one that isn't worthy of his daughter. Pregnant. Alone. Abandoned. Those words had nearly murdered me. "Brooks will be handing her over, trust me. You know the room they're staying in?"

"I do. But sir, surely Dani is better off staying here. They can't carry out a hit on her if she's here. They can't—"

"Are you trying to tell me that you've become incompetent, Torey?" He pins me with a vicious glare. "Since when have you not been up for a job? Are you telling me that you can't handle security on my daughter? That my men can't?"

"I'm completely competent and so are the other men. As you know, you can always rely on me. My services are yours to do with as you see fit. I was just thinking about the plan we'd discussed the other day and—"

"Since when do I have to tell you every change of plans I make? I suggest you become fine with the change of things real quickly." I give him a compliant nod of the head as he rolls his sleeves back down and puts his suit jacket on.

I take a pack of cigarettes out of my pocket and hand him one, holding out a lit lighter to him to appease his uneasiness. I haven't seen him this tense in a long time. Having your daughter punch you square in the face, in front of your men too, and not being able to do anything about it, has left him in quite a state. I'm honestly scared about what he's going to do if we get Dani out of here.

Images of him hitting her, beating her play throughout my mind as I take a drag of my cigarette. Then I think of something Dani had once asked me; if he ever asked me to hit her would I do it. Uneasiness rolls all about in my stomach because I know I won't be able to do that. I would rather punch myself than lay my hands on her but I have a feeling this whole situation is about to get really ugly.