Chapter Two: I'm Your Nightmare

Amy POV

The lab technicians here keep making the mistake of messing with me and getting on my bad side. I'd like to think they would know better by now, after almost 18 years, just how badly that would fail. Then again, if they're idiots it's easier for me to manipulate them. So it's not all bad.

"#11, please tell me what happened with the security guards in experiment room C," the administrator says, rubbing his temple in exhaustion and frustration.

Giving a casual shrug I just mutter "They didn't respect me and so I taught them a lesson." It couldn't matter less to me how much trouble I get in, apparently I'm the prime candidate to be patient zero for the epidemic GlobeTech intends to start, and so as a result, they can't send me to the basement.

"That's no explanation for leaving seven security guards hanging from the ceiling in nothing but their underwear and police caps, for goodness sake you almost escaped!" The man pounds his fist on the table, and almost immediately winces, just because I can't feel physical pain doesn't mean everyone here is so lucky. Amused, I let out a little chuckle. "#11, what exactly are we going to do with you?"

"Well now sir I just don't know. Given how much you and your dear sweet associates at GlobeTech seem to want to keep me stuck at your crappy 1-star hotel and how much I want to leave, I'd say we're at a classic stalemate." Grinning at the man as he just gets more frustrated, I put my feet up on his desk and lean back in my chair as if I own the place. If I keep up misbehaving and scheming like this I probably would have this entire lab wrapped around my finger, and that's why they're so afraid of me.

As the conversation falls into an awkward silence for about the fifth time, I study the room, and feel the jealousy coursing through my veins. A comfortable sofa, nice wooden chairs, pictures hung up on the wall to give it a personal touch, and, of course, the books. Classic works of fiction and nonfiction alike, ranging from Stephen King novels to books filled with essays and research papers. What I wouldn't give to just spend my time in here, reading every single book that sits on the tall mahogany bookshelves...

"#11, you do understand that I'm talking to you, don't you?"

"Oh yes, I'm just choosing to ignore you since most of this is just a pathetic little charade on your part to try and get my attention. Which won't work by the way, nothing you say interests me in the slightest." To demonstrate my point, I let out a long and overdramatic yawn.

"You're going to have to stop with your destructive and frankly outright hostile behavior #11 because if I'm going to be upfront with you..."

"It's Amy."

"Excuse me?"

"I'm not just another number in your system you dumbass, my name is Amy. You would do well to remember that you little shit."

He blinks. It isn't just anyone that would be brave enough to call some of the highest up staff members here dumbasses. I'm either incredibly brave or incredibly stupid, and I'm almost completely sure that it's both. "Fine. Amy, you're going to need to cut this shit out. You may think this is some fun little game but we do not. The CEO of GlobeTech himself has called here and he's demanding we get your attitude under control. Now, you wouldn't want the CEO of this whole company to get involved, now would you?"

Patronizing. That's what he's going for; he's trying to treat me like I'm some ignorant child that's just been caught running with scissors or something equally stupid. Sometimes I wonder how these people have enough brain cells to tie their shoes in the morning before they come to work here every morning. Still, for all my bravado, the idea of the CEO of GlobeTech coming down here to deal with me personally is a bit much even for me. "The CEO wouldn't waste his time with me. The man has more money than he could shake a stick at and enough influence to declare himself the undisputed ruler of the planet. He wouldn't just interrupt his busy schedule to come calling for some tea and crumpets."

"Tea and crumpets?" The man raises an eyebrow, as if he's asking me to explain.

"Oh, when I think of pretentious assholes who can't seem to learn that the world doesn't revolve around them, I picture tea and crumpets. That's all. And since you enjoy my commentary on things so much, I'll make sure to include it more frequently in our discussions." Crossing my arms over my chest, I stare him down. The more he says, the more I can use to provoke him. These people are so stupidly predictable.

"Amy...is there anything we could do to perhaps...calm down that temper of yours a bit?"

"Well now aren't you just precious! Only a half hour ago you were telling me that I'm stupid and don't know anything and now you're asking for my advice. Please. You wouldn't know how to make me cooperate if the idea hit you in the face. Maybe it's time you just realize how pointless this whole endeavor is."

The man sitting across from me knows as well as I do that this conversation is going absolutely nowhere, just like all of them do. If he doesn't at least make an attempt with me though, then something much worse than getting fired will happen to him.

"Maybe you should consider that eventually we'll find a better patient zero, and then there will be nothing to protect you from all the fun GlobeTech has to offer. If I were you I would..."

He's interrupted by a whimpering noise outside the door as someone cries "No! I didn't do anything wrong, I didn't do anything wrong, please not me!"

A streak of pity hits me, which is unusual. I don't usually feel compassionate for the people here, all it would do is cause unnecessary heartbreak, but something about the girl's pained cries tugs at my heartstrings.

"Who's that, the girl that was just crying? I don't think I've heard her voice before."

"Why? Are you feeling sorry for her, perhaps showing you actually do care about something," the administrator taunts me.

Scoffing, I roll my eyes. Just because I feel pity for the girl doesn't mean I'll stick my neck out for her. After all, I'm not a sentimental fool. "I'm just curious, it's not every day that there's a voice I don't know. Besides, do you really think I'd ever be so stupid as to care?"