01 . sweet sixteens && sour secrets

Btzz btzz. The skin on my fingertips tickle from the vibrations caused from my phone buzzing. Btzz btzz. Damn it, it's a call. I turn the green phone towards my face, checking the caller ID. A smile twists onto my face, seeing the name I had entered as soon as this new phone landed in my hand. I didn't even need his contact in my phone, I had memorized his number years ago. But I still loved the stupid nickname I gave him.

Batman was what it said. Or Miles. I tap my thumb to the answer button and hold the phone to my ear.

"It's three o' clock in the morning, what in the world could be so important that it couldn't wait until you know, the fucking sun was up." I ask, though I never minded when Miles called. I could be sitting in boiling water but I'd still stop to talk to the idiot.

"Open your window." I quickly shoot up into a sitting position, furrowing my eyebrows. I jump out of bed, swiftly making my way over towards the window, half of my too cautious but the rest of me wanted to see what lies behind.

"Miles, what are you-" I'm cut off my the three beeps the signal the other line has hung up. My fingers struggle to open the latch on the window. It finally pops free and I shove the window upwards, letting it slide open. I had removed the screen from it years ago, but Miles still needed me to open the window since it opened from the inside.

I lean out of the window, peering down to the ground below, only to get my gaze met by a set of gorgeous, gleaming brown eyes. The ones that belonged to my best friend. I lean farther out the window and outstretch my hand for him to grasp. His palm collides with mine and I manage to pull him up and through the window. He stumbles a bit before regaining his usual unsteady balance.

I'm at first worried that I'm only dressed in black and white athletic shorts, a Gryfindoor Quiditch cut of t shirt and a pair of knee high red and black socks, but then I remember that it's just Miles. Despite that fact that most girls get really nervous around their crushes, I always oddly felt comfortable around mine.

Did I mention my gigantic crush on my bestfriend of nearly nine years?

"What the hell are you doing?" I ask a smile curling at my lips.

"Hunter Jane Williams, it exactly one minute and twenty-three seconds, you will have been born sixteen years ago and a momentous occasion like this is one I wouldn't miss for the world." He says, a smile sliding half way up his face, making a crease appear in between his mouth and his cheek as he looks down at me. He was quite a bit taller than me, standing at about six feet, three inches witch towers my five foot, seven inch frame.

"Wow, you really have nothing better to do with your Saturday night?" I ask, a giggle forming in my throat and escaping with his stupid expression.

"Like I said, I wouldn't miss this moment for the world." I raise my eye brows at his claim. "And I'm also a looser." He admits. His phone buzzes with that same generic iPhone ring tone that I have set for him, and he takes it out of his deep pocket.

"HAPPY SIXTEENTH BIRTHDAY!" He yells with extreme enthusiasm. I laugh at his crazy hand gestures and excitement in his eyes. It was a habit of tradition to do weird, crazy things for each other's birthdays. For his sixteenth, which was back in June, I took him to see a midnight showing of his favorite movie, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. Which is coincidentally my favorite as well...

Just then, a very angery, very tired brother of mine bursts through my bedroom door. "I don't give a fuck that it's your sixteenth birthday, you're both going to shut the fuck up or I'm telling mom that you have Miles over when your grounded."