Ep. 1 Pt. 2

"Ahjumma! Annyeonghaseyo!" Chae-Won greeted happily as she skipped beside Jung-Hwan and Dong-Ryong. They had been suspiciously quiet when they picked her up. She had also noticed Jung-Hwan's missing shoes and the fact that they distracted her from asking about it.

"Aigo, Chae-Won ah. You're in a good mood," Jung-Hwan's mom replied. "Son, you're back!" She said but only got a nod from him.

Chae-Won noticing her disappointment dropped her bag to the ground and sat beside Jung-Hwan's mom. "Ahjumma, that looks yummy," she grinned eyeing the sprouts they were prepping.

Ra Mi-Ran was no idiot and knew what she was doing and she was thankful for it. "Of course! Why don't you come eat with us tonight. You brother is in a competition and I heard your father was meeting his friends," she suggested with a big smile.

"Sure, ahjumma. I'll come by in a while. I have to change first," Chae-Won nodded and pointed to her dusty dungarees.

"Arasso, I'll also make your favorite seaweed soup!" Mi-Ran excitedly cheered. Beside her, her two friends shared a knowing smile.

"Aigo, daughters really are better," Deok-Sun's mother said looking at Chae-Won's retreating figure.

"I just want to make her my daughter-in-law!" Sun-Young, Sun-Woo's mother exclaimed making the other two chuckle.

"You're not allowed to! She's already reserved for me!" Mi-Ran protested teasingly as she flicked her short hair.

The ladies laughed louder unaware of someone who had been lurking had heard what they said.

That night, as promised, Mi-Ran cooked seaweed soup for Chae-Won. She was setting up the table when she paused. Chae-Won would always come early to help her prepare the meal when she invites her for dinner. She shook off her worry knowing that she finished cooking early.

"Jung-Hwan ah, go call Chae-Won for dinner!" she yelled. Seconds later, her son came out and directly headed out for the door. She sighed and mumbled, "I wish he wouldn't take after me so much."

Jung-Hwan arrived inside the Choi household a couple steps later and saw that all the lights were off. He had a bad feeling in the pit of his stomach and slowly called out for his friend. "Chae-Won ah. It's Jung-Hwan."

No one answered and he moved to the room he had often spent his time with his friends. He opened the door to see the silhouette of a body on the floor. He panicked and flicked the lights on.

"Chae-Won! Wake up! What happened?!" He yelled. He usually wouldn't wake her up if she fell asleep due to her condition but her nose was bleeding and she had a scratch on her forehead. Not to mention that the books on the shelf were now on the floor around her as well as Taek's Go-game board.

"Wake up!" Jung-Hwan shook her shoulder. The front door was suddenly banged against the wall. Dong-Ryong who had heard the screaming called Sun-Woo and Deok-Sun.

"Chae-Won! What happened?!" Deok-Sun panicked as she started to move the book away from the girl. Jung-Hwan had picked her head off the floor and place it on his lap.

"I don't know! I found her like this! Aish, it's my fault. I knew nobody was home and let her go home alone anyways," Jung-Hwan rambled while trying to wake up Chae-Won by gently patting her cheek.

"Huh?! Ahjussi is not home?" Dong-Ryong asked confused knowing that Chae-Won's father rarely left the house.

"Jung-Hwan," a soft whisper came out of Chae-Won's mouth making all of them pause.