Chapter 2: Why Is He Here?

(Warnings: Petrification[?], attacking[?], dead animals, treason. I think that's all)(again, fanart doesn't matter)

------------------------------------

"Hello Lilith," he sighed as she gave him a nasty look. Actually, Amity was glaring at him too. Eda gave him a skeptical look before turning to Luz. "How do you know we can trust him?" she asked the human.

Luz glanced back at Belos' right hand man worriedly before looking back at Eda. "Well, I don't really know we can trust him, but he doesn't have his staff from the Emperor, and his palisman isn't in staff form. So he doesn't really have any way to attack us with magic... so I think he won't attack. He's outnumbered anyway."

Hunter sighed. "Listen. About a year ago I helped a friend escape to these woods. I just want to know if any of you have seen them since that point in time."

Everyone shared a look in confusion before Luz finally asked, "You... you have friends? Or had, I suppose..."

He sighed again, rubbing the bridge of his nose. "Yes, I've had friends. Now have any of you seen them?"

Eda replied, "No, but I've seen footprints & dead animals around before. Do ya think they're still living in the woods?" She scratched the back of her head, trying to think.

Luz shook her head no.

Amity thought for a second before saying, "Well, one time while walking through the woods I noticed a blanket over a cave entrance, so that could be where they live?"

King had fallen asleep at this point so he didn't even respond.

Hunter turned to Lilith, who swallowed nervously before attempting to answer. "I- I've seen them. Not recently, but not long after I'm assuming you helped them escape their petrification."

"Belos tried to petrify one of his own soldiers?" Luz yelped in shock. Amity nodded. "Around a year or so ago someone was supposed to be petrified for treason but it was canceled the day of. I guess now we know who & why."

"They didn't commit treason, they were just my friend." Hunter murmured in anger. Lilith nodded at his words. "Yes, didn't Kikimora find you two asleep before the sentence?"

Hunter responded to her question with a nod, absent-mindedly petting Rascal. The cardinal chirped and rubbed against his scarred cheek. "We had made it a normal thing for us to meet at my room after our shifts to hang out & talk. We apparently were very tired that day & we both nodded off on my bed. Kiki came to retrieve me for Un- er, Emperor Belos & found us. The Emperor was not happy & ordered for the sentence to be put out."

"Awww, that's so sad... no wonder you don't like growing attached to people." Luz commented.

Hunter stood up, Rascal flying off his shoulder as he did. "Well, as helpful as this has been, I think I will just look for them now." As he headed for the door, he pulled up his hood, careful so Rascal didn't get caught in it. Luz bit her lip, debating before finally she called out, "Wait!"

She ran up & placed a hand on his shoulder. "Why don't we help? It'll be faster. These are big woods after all." He pushed her hand away from him before sighing. "Fine. But only if Lilith shows me the exact spot she found them." Luz squealed before grabbing Amity's hand & running out the door.

------------------------------------
(sorry if this is short as well. have a nice day/night.)

Words: Around 568