{3} How To Say Hello

Quick, spontaneous updates! -Her Lady

Chapter Three

How To Say Hello

=-The New World-=

1024

The village was brimming with excitement the next day. Gathering in their rooms to ready their finest dress and to fix their hair, the young women who were yet to be claimed by a man through marriage were bursting with jubilant energy. Their parents were more so eager as they gave their sweet angels a day of luxury, slipping pieces on attractive jewelry around their fingers and necks. Even the admirable suitors who had strutted around with an aura of thick arrogance and pride were showing hints of nervousness when they made their appearances around their properties. Servants were busy hunting, cleaning, or assisting their masters.

From the tree branch above, I could see a group of giggling girls gossip fervently of what was to happen later on, lacing each other's hair in simple twines before twisting flowers at the end on the ties. "Are you not excited?" A girl giggled.

"They shall be there," one laughed.

"Of course," I murmured, realizing that tonight's open feast was in honor of the visitors. The females were determined to catch the foreigners interest and I easily assumed the men had similar plans. Then he shall be there as well.

This was all for appearance's sake and as deplorable as that sounded, I was jealous yet again. They had a night to wear their fabricated masks without the worry of the consequences and yet I couldn't do the same. Magdalene released me from my duties, secretly hoping I would follow the flock and join the animation of it all. As thankful as I was for the small ounce of freedom, especially since Yvonne would be much more demanding to become the living picture of perfection, I had nothing to be keen about. I had no pleasant dresses nor jewelry to flaunt and even if I found an acceptable dress, I would be treated with scorn.

Privily, I was feeling rather dejected and confused. This had not bothered me before. So why does it now?

Tonight would not be the first feast I had the displeasure of overlooking. I had found quiet solitude in Tatia's back garden during these times. Personally, I prefered Aunt Sylvia's kitchen but she would be there cooking for the feast, another reminder of what I was kept from. Tatia had tried many times to join her in the festivities but we both knew what would happen if I went. It was less painful to ignore the laughter and music than to join in and be openly excluded from the happy chatter. I wanted to save myself from further indignity.

Hopping off the branch and landing safely to the ground, I walked back to Tatia's house when the girls left for the public square. I could hear the faint conversations that the wind brought to me. Two women a few years older than I brushed past me, murmuring about a handsome dark-haired traveler. An odd feeling coursed through my veins - a mixture of agitation and something else I couldn't identify - and I heard a squeal from behind me. I turned to see the girls on the ground. They had tripped on an arched vine that slithered back into its original place by the base of the tree. I knew without a doubt that it was of my doing.

"Freja," the girl gasped from the ground.

Before they could accuse me of anything, I sped away to my solitude that looked more appealing by each passing second. I did not want them telling Yvonne exaggerated tales of my mistake. As I walked, my thoughts immediately returned to the mystery man, the pulchritudinous stranger that refused to let my thoughts be. Every time I closed my eyes I would see his face underneath my eyelids. When my mind began to wander blindly into a daydream, I would imagine him standing in front of me again, talking to me with that steady, musical voice of his. What was happening to me? This was out of my control, frighteningly so.