Chapter Six

"What is it?"

"Nothing." Merlin replied.

"It's something tell me." They were sat opposite each other, then Merlin was stood in front of him with red stuff on his face.

The knights grimaced, remembering the time they had to wear that stuff.

"Oh, it's all right. Its just Merlin." Merlin said sarcastically, and Arthur chuckled at him.

"I know I'm a prince, so we can't be friends." They were sharing a room, and Merlin was facing away fromArthur. "But if I wasn't a prince..."

"What?"

"Well, then. I think we'd probably get on." Arthur threw his pillow at Merlin playfully. They looked at each other, then Merlin ran to Arthur's unconscious body.

"Not a word." Arthur warned, as he saw that Gwaine was about to open his mouth.

"I wasn't going to say anything, princess." Gwaine lied.

"So?" Merlin asked.

"So, that means you can tell me." Arthur said. "I'm glad you're here, Merlin." Merlin just looked at him. "Now, I realise you're not as big a fool as you look." He jabbed Merlin with a stick. They laughed together in Arthur's chambers, then they were sat around a campfire again. "Perhaps, my father was wrong. Perhaps, the old ways aren't as evil as we thought."

Everyone looked at Arthur in amazement, not expecting that. They smiled at him, and he knew that he was slightly forgiven for not accepting Merlin at first.

"So, what should we do? Accept magic, or let Mordred die." Arthur asked. Merlin tried to blink back tears.

"I know I'm just a servant, and my word doesn't count for anything." Merlin said.

Those that had been there from the beginning, realised that this was very early on. The ones that hadn't been there, leaned forwards in their seats, eager to know what Arthur and Merlin were like before they met them.

"I wouldn't lie to you." He continued.

"I want you to swear to me, what you're telling me is true." Arthur said.

"I swear, it's true."

"Then, I believe you." Arthur laughed loudly, while he was lying on the grass with a wound on his face. "I'm not an idiot." He said, rising from his desk and walking around it, so that Merlin could see that he had dressed incorrectly.

Arthur's face flushed a deep shade of red, while all the knights laughed openly at him. Gwen and Gaius tried to suppress their smiles, but were unsuccessful.

"Are you sure about that?" Merlin chuckled. He fell to the ground, clutching his chest, and Arthur turned just in time to see.

"One day, you will understand just how much they've done for you." Gaius said.

"Creep." Merlin stated, while putting on Arthur's armour. Arthur chuckled, and Merlin smiled at him."I always thought, if things had been different we'd have been good friends." Merlin admitted, leaning against a stone wall.

"Yeah."

"When are you two going to realise, that you're friends anyway." Gwen sighed.

"I'm your friend! I was looking out for you." Merlin said. Gaius leaned over an unconscious Arthur while Merlin put his hands to his face and cried, in the background.