𝐎𝐧𝐞

𝐎𝐧𝐞 | Solo missions

☾☼☽☾☼☽

Rooftops and abandoned buildings had been my home for as long as I could remember. Most people thought that it would be terrible, that staying in places like that would mess with your head, but I'd never found that to be the truth. Or maybe I was just too far gone to notice that I was slowly going mad.

Ever since I was young, the gravel on a skyscraper roof had been a familiar resting place, and sure it could be cold in the winter, and the rain normally sucked, but I enjoyed it all the same. It was home. It was my home.

Slowly, over the years, the roof tops, abandoned buildings and various other decrepit places had also become my office of sort. The high vantage points and good views left me with a clear line of sight and meant that I could complete my job, and get paid rather easily.

A timer beeped on my phone, and I pulled it out, seeing the time. I hummed to myself, before crouching on my knees and looking over the parapet of the skyscraper that I was on. Wind bit at my exposed cheeks, despite it being summer, and I pulled my mask further up over my face to warm my nose.

My eyes scanned the building opposite me, before I found who I was looking for.

"Bingo," I murmured, before turning back around and clicking open the case behind me. I didn't have much to my name, just an old suitcase. Was anyone to look inside of it, they would see clothes and other general things like a toothbrush, toothpaste, a hairbrush and laundry detergent. Reaching down, I pulled that layer off, setting it down, before I pulled my most prized possession from the bottom.

If anyone knew that I had a military grade sniper rifle in a secret compartment beneath my clothes in a rundown suitcase, then I'd be arrested and handed over to the authority. I just didn't look enough like a stereotypical sniper to be caught. 

I assembled the rifle, attaching the scope, before setting it on the ledge and sitting down cross legged. Peering through the scope, I took a deep breath, before taking note of everything. My target wasn't moving, standing on the balcony of the hotel, and there was little wind coming from my direction.

Taking another deep breath, I closed my eyes, before aiming and pulling the trigger.

The shot rang out, echoing around the surrounding buildings, and I watched the man crumple, before dissembling my gun and stashing it. I wasn't too stressed about whether or not I had hit him, knowing that my aim was always true. If I willed for him to die from a headshot, then he would, for being the daughter of Apollo allowed me certain perks that other snipers simply didn't have.

☾☼☽☾☼☽

By the next morning the assassination attempt was all over the news, both printed and on air. I watched it all with a small grin, reading through the article, before grabbing a knife and cutting the article out. I stuck it into my diary along with the date, before checking my bank account. Sure enough, it was a couple of hundred thousands more well off than last time I checked.

I leant back against the suitcase, flicking through my phone as I searched for a new job, waiting for an email.

Something clanked on the metal stairs, and I looked up briefly, before turning back to my phone. Listening in to the sound of footsteps, I began to sign into the free hotel Wi-Fi beneath me, typing in one of my email addresses as I waited.

Whoever it was came around the corner, and I pulled my other gun from it's holster under my jacket, pointing it at whoever came in. They were most likely a monster, as those normally came scurrying whenever I powered up my phone, and if it was a police officer, I'd just shoot them as well. Mortal law enforcement was always useless; they had been since I was a child.

"Don't shoot," Most monsters went to kill you first, so this was someone else, probably mortal.

"This is a new police tactic," I finished signing up to the Wi-Fi, grinning as it connected. "What do you want?"

"I wanted to talk to you. I know who you are," I hummed, not truly bothered to talk to whoever this person was.

"Are you the police?"

"No. I'm a demigod, like you,"

"I'm not a demigod, what makes you think that?" I waved it off nonchalantly.

"The shot you took last night would have been impossible," The boy said, and I turned to look at him. 

"Great. I'm a good shot, end of," I muttered, still keeping the gun on him. "Who are you then and did you come to drag me back to that infernal camp?"

"No, no, I didn't," He shook his head. "My name's Chris Rodriguez, I'm a child of Hermes."

"Huh, you don't say," I cocked an eyebrow.

"Can you not point the gun at me?"

"No,"

"Alright then," He stammered out, gulping. "I didn't come from the camp. My older brother, he remembered you from camp, thought that you might be interested to talk to him."

"Why would I be bothered?"

"It's better to talk to him about it," Chris tripped over his words. "He knows about everything much better than I do. He's the mastermind behind this all."

"I'm surprised that your brother, whoever he is, remembers me. I was only at camp for two days," I stood up, turning my phone off and sliding it into my back pocket as I watched Chris Rodriguez tremble. "Who did you say he was?"

"I didn't," He watched, trembling as I brushed my jacket off and pulled it on. "Luke Castellan. That's who he is."

"Luke Castellan," I clicked my tongue, thinking back, as I clicked the safety back onto my handgun, sliding it into it's holster. 

"Nope, not ringing a bell," I shook my head, before brushing past him and to the staircase that lead back down to the main hotel block. "Well, it was nice meeting you."

"Please," Chris ran after me. "Luke wanted me to bring you back. He remembered you because he knew of a child of Apollo who used a sniper rifle instead of a bow and he thought that this might be the type of thing that you were interested in. Please, just let me take you to him, hear him out and if you don't like the prospect of it then you can go."

"You swear it?"

"I swear it," He promised, and I grinned, before patting his cheek.

"Now, if you break it, I'll kill you," He paled, and I smirked, before taking off down the stairs. "Come on then, let's go and see whether or not I'm going to kill you."

Hiya,

So Orion is a bit of a wild card, but I love her for it. To clarify, she's 18 atm, Ethan will be 18 when he's introduced and Luke's 20 ish. Anyhow, what do you think of her? She's a daughter of Apollo who uses a sniper rifle.

Let me know what you think,

Love Li xx