Change of plans

A few months later...

"Phew, thats that mission done." Alan said.

"Yup. Looks like there's no more missions right now." Stella said.

"Perfect. We get to spend time together." Alan smiled, nuzzling Stella.

"Teehee, just what I want." Stella giggled, nuzzling back.

The two decided to head home. Getting there, they decide to watch their egg, and lay down.

"Alan?" Stella asked.

"Yes?" Alan replied.

"I was thinking... maybe we should quit our job? it is a bit dangerous..." Stella suggested. 

"are you sure? exploring the world was your dream... would it be wise to throw it away?" Alan was surprised by this sudden question

 "i guess... but dreams can change, right? right now my dream is to be with you, and be there for our child." Stella replied.

alan looks down, uncertain. all his life he had been a rescuer, and he had sworn to help others in order to prevent his family's fate befalling others.

"but.... where will we go after? how will we provide for our baby?" Alan asked, unwilling to give up his vow, and hesitant on what would happen to him and stella.

"i know you've been a rescuer for your entire life, but please... trust me on this." Stella replied, holding onto alan's paws. "i heard pearl's shop has a free spot, maybe i can get a place there. and you and black made amends, right? maybe he's willing to find somewhere for you to work in the mail HQ?

"i guess." Alan sighed, still not entirely sold. 

"how about we go visit pearl? maybe then we can figure out if we can go ahead with this?" Stella suggested. 

"sounds like a plan." Alan replied.

Both parents glanced at their egg, nestled gently in its bed.

Hey there little guy... Don't worry about us... Mommy and daddy will get a safer job... We promise." Alan said to the egg.

The couple left their house, and headed to Pearl's house.

Getting there, they knocked on the door. Soon, Pearl opened the door.

"Oh, Star! Alan! It's nice to see you! Come on in!" Pearl exclaimed.

The two entered the house with Pearl. Alan spotted Black.

"Black!" Alan called out to him.

"Alan! Good to see you." Black said.

"So, what brings you two here?" Pearl asked.

"We're thinking of quitting our rescuer job, but we need help finding a new one. It's for our baby." Stella replied.

"I see. Quitting is a good move, my uncle did that when he found out my aunt was pregnant." Pearl said.

"Yeah. More safer too." Alan said.

"As for jobs, a spot opened up a few weeks ago at the shop I work in. Stella, I think you can fit there nicely." Pearl said.

"Thank you Pearl." Stella said.

"I'm not sure about you though Alan. Sorry." Pearl said

"About that, I've been looking for a mailman to work at mail HQ. They need to be fast, able to carry multiple heavy things, and be efficient. You seem to match what i'm looking for nicely. What do you say?" Black told Alan.

"Hmmm... That sounds good. I accept your offer Black." Alan replied.

"Then it's settled." Pearl said.

"I'll get your application sorted, Alan." Black said

"And Stella, i'll sort your one through." Pearl said.

"Thank you." Alan and Stella said

"We'll be going now. we need to give our letter of resignation." Alan said.

"Take care." Pearl said.

"See you soon." Black said.

"Bye!" Stella replied.

Alan and Stella left pearl's house.

Later...

"So the way i understand it, you two are quitting your rescuer job?" The guildmaster said.

"Yes." Alan replied.

"You understand your team will be disbanded and you cannot reuse that name again if you decide to rejoin, correct?" The guild master said.

"We do." Stella replied.

"Very well." the guildmaster said, before signing the resignation papers.

"Before you go, do you mind telling me why you are doing this?" the guild master asked.

"Not at all. It's for our baby. We don't want an accident to occur and leave our child fatherless or motherless." Alan said.

"I see. Then you've made a good choice. It was nice to know you two. And good luck." The guild master said.

"Thank you." Stella said, as both turned to leave.

Outside, the two looked back at the rescuer base.

"Heh, now we have a new life. no more worrying." Alan said.

"Yup. Looks like it's getting late. How about we watch the sunset together at our favourite spot? I'm sure Pearl has gotten Black to give us the applications." Stella said.

"Alright." Alan said, and they both headed to the tree they had first met under.