Part 3

Christian

Driving through the winding roads to the beach house, I can't help but smile. A summer away from home, even if I have to spend it with my parents sounds good. And it just so happens that the person I love to torment the most will be there. 

It's not that I hate her. I just like to tease her. It's been my thing since I can remember, teasing and flirting with her. But I don't hate her. She hates me. Which, I guess is understandable. 

She thinks I'm nothing but a guy who loves to flirt and tease, and not much else. She's only half wrong.

My sister's babbling besides me in the backseat of our car about Lera, her favorite subject. My sister looks up to her, which I'm not that mad about. She needs someone to guide her, and she sure as hell doesn't want that to be me. Again, understandable. 

"Ah look! We're here!" my mom says from the front seat, turning towards us with wide eyes. Fern squeals, and I have to cover my ears to avoid a burst eardrum.

"Now, best behavior, the both of you," my mom says as we pull up to the front of the house. She narrows her eyes at me, and I put up my hands in protest. I smirk before saying,

"No need to worry mom, I'll be the perfect gentleman, as always." She rolls her eyes at this before making her way to the trunk of the car. I follow, and stand behind my dad while he pulls out loose bags. 

A flash in my peripheral vision draws my attention to an upstairs window, a smile beckoning on my lips. I watch as Lera and her friend throw pillows at each other, theirs smiles spread wide across their faces. 

Pillow fights. Good times. 

When we were really little, Noah, Lera and I were having a pillow fight one night that I was sleeping over. Let's just say Lera's nose never looked quite the same. 

"Christian, can you get the rest of the bags out of the trunk please?" my dad says.

"Sure thing, Pops," I reply. I'm thrown a warning glance from both him and my mom, as I throw my hands up in protest.

They sigh before walking to the front of the house. I look back up at her window to see her already looking at me. Same cute face. I threw her a smirk, just because I know it would make her squirm.

I grab the rest of the bags and awkwardly make my way to the front door. I'm thrown into a hug by Kelly, who exclaims,

"And how's my favorite boy doing? I hope you weren't too much trouble for your parents on the way up here!"

I chuckle before replying.

"Oh,  no more than normal, I'm not that bad!" 

She lightly smacks the back of my head, before lightly pushing my back through the doorway.

That's when I see her. Her mid-length, dark brown hair catches the bright, summer light. She's bending down to talk to Fern with a wide smile spread across her face. She stands up as Fern runs to hug Kat, and her eyes lock with mine. She rolls her eyes at my grin, and I walk over to her. 

"Hey Dreamer, how you been", I ask, ruffling her hair in the process. 

I've called Lera Dreamer for years. It's mostly due to the fact that she daydreams. All the time. She'll be totally lost in her own world that she walks into walls or tunes people out. It's sort of odd, if you think about it, but it's what makes her, her. 

Her face turns into a scowl as I smirk before going inside to greet Kat and Noah. 

...

After everyone's finished greeting everyone else, we start to haul the bags upstairs. Correction, I start to haul the bags upstairs. I'm carrying both my bag, Fern's bag, and another bag full of miscellaneous items, with Lera walking hand-in-hand with Fern behind me. As we start walking up the long staircase, my biceps flex under the weight of the bags. Remembering her presence, I turn around to see Lera staring back at me. Or my arms. I can't really tell.

"Like what you see, Dreamy?" I smirk as she rolls her eyes again.

"Keep dreaming," she replies, ushering me upstairs.

"Oh, I'm sure I will be. But anyway, aren't you the dreamer?" I retort.

She falters with a response, before kicking the back of my knee, my bad knee, and pulling Fern towards her room. I let out a small, low chuckle before going into my room. Noah's standing next to his dresser, already putting clothes into it. I throw my stuff onto the floor before laying down on my own bed. 

I groan as my weight sinks into the soft, hotel like mattress and I clutch my knee, which is now dull aching from the pain.

Noah turns around from his dresser, an amused look on his face. 

"She kick your knee out again?" he asked.

"Yep. And she's the only one allowed to do it."

He laughs, hearing the same old story time after time. 

The first time I hurt my knee was in Junior Year of Highschool. I was playing hockey like every other day when I hurt my knee. I got tackled, fell, and well, here we are today. My knee is mostly better, but it still occasionally hurts, particularly when it gets kicked from behind. By Lera.

Lying back down, my mind wanders to the thought of this summer. What will happen? Will I leave as the same person I am now?

This is going to be a long summer.

...

The rest of the afternoon is spent catching up, enjoying the sun and annoying the girls. It only takes the inflatable volleyball to 'accidently' hit Lera twice before she and Kat join in. Her on  my team, and Kat on Noah's. 

I smile, watching her play. Every movement she makes is graceful, even for beach volleyball. I love how she speaks her mind and is confident in everything she does. I love how her deep blue eyes are as dreamy as her personality. I love that when she's mad at me, she screws up her face and her cheeks go red. I love how she tests me, which is why I love to test her back. 

I love how she's the only girl that doesn't pine over me. Doesn't treat me like someone's property.

My mission this summer; Make her not hate me.

Because I don't hate her...

A/n:

A/n:

Heyyy Besties!

Thanks again for reading my book!

Sorry if this chapter was sort of boring, I just wanted to try and add some insight into Christian before this story went too far. 

See you guys next week!

lots of love, em xx