(6)

a deafening silence spread across the group. they stared. desperately waiting for sam to follow up her confession with some sort of explanation.

''last night'', she glanced at deena, silently begging for some support, as she felt the burning gazes of the group on her pale skin, ''i don't...i don't know, you know. i thought i hit my head. it was-it was her''.

''i saw the witch''.

sam's words echoed around the teenagers' heads. the witch was real.

for once, lisa wished she had attended a school event, this one seemed interesting.

''ok'', deena's voice cut through the tension, ''so this all happened at the car crash?''

''yeah, when i got out of the car''.

''we need to go there. right now'', kate announced, ''if we can trace your steps, we can figure out what the fuck happened, and end this. tonight''.

''are you serious? sam just said she saw a witch, who has been cursing this town for centuries, and your first thought is to go and say 'hi'?'' obviously, lisa didn't agree with the plan. she didn't feel like dying tonight.

''it's worth a try, if we can all see the witch like sam did, maybe we can convince her to take a day off?'' simon suggested.

despite what some members thought, the party found themselves in the woods, under the harsh surveillance of the full moon.

josh began handing out headtorches, not exactly something lisa would like to be found dead in.

''i can't believe you're wearing that'', deena smirked, despite the circumstances, ''i can't believe your above wearing it, when we're in the middle of the fucking woods, and dead maniacs are after us'', kate responded.

as the group filed into the darkness, a certain brunette held back, for obvious reasons.

''hey, you okay?'' kate questioned, despite already knowing the answer. lisa looked at her with furrowed brows and a slight frown, ''what the fuck are we even doing here?''

kate took the other girl's hand in an effort to comfort her, ''living out our horror movie fantasy'', she answered, with a bittersweet smile.

this earned a slight chuckle from lisa, and in return, kate gave her a reassuring squeeze of the hand, which was now tightly knitted with hers.

this calm amidst the chaos was abruptly ended by josh's voice, ''c'mon guys, we need to stick together!''

and so, they followed their friends into the lion's den.

a frenzy of flashlights revealed the blood red car that had caused so much pain that night. sam was attacked with chills as she recalled the events, ''ok, so i fell out of the car, here.'' she began to re-enact the scene.

''i was crawling, and my nose was bleeding. and then-'' sam paused her story time.

''i feel something''. she began to pull at some chains which resided in a shallow grave, as the rest of the circle closed in to help.

''chains?''

''oh, not just chains''. simon was disturbingly close to something. the group quickly realised. it was a skull. this was a grave.

''holy shit''

''oh my god''

''no way''

''jesus''

''woah''

the youngest of the johnson siblings had uncovered the missing piece of the puzzle. a lock, engraved with the word 'fier'.