3

I hear dad's voice. It's what wakes me up. He's not saying anything coherent but I can hear that's his voice. I jump from my bed and make my way to the living room.

I see my mum sitting with Fiyin on the couch again. Laughing and talking. As usual.

"Mummy good morning, I heard Daddy's voice, where's he?" she gave me a blank stare in response before she shrugs and turns back to talk to Fiyin. Fiyin smiles and waves at me. I smile back.

"Good morning babes"

"Good morning Fiyin" I mumble back in response.

I came out here for something. To look for someone.

Who?

Nobody, I just woke up, why will I be looking for someone.

Why did they die

Who died?

The both of them, why did they die.

I shook my head. I know 2 people died, I just don't know who. The voice in my head keeps saying stupid things. That's my inner person I guess, my mind. It keeps trying to say unreasonable things that aren't happening. I can't be hallucinating, am I?

I walk out of the house to recieve some fresh air. I look up at the dark and gloomy sky. It always looks like it is about to rain, and it never does. It should soon though.

It won't

I shook my head, willing the voice to go away.

You know

Know what?

The wind stills for a second. No bird sounds, but then, when last did I hear any animal sounds. I look down the compound.

They are there.

Both of them. Holding hands and watching me.  They don't say a word. The smaller one raises her hand and waves. I nod my head in response, a confused look on face.

From inside of the house, I hear Fiyin tell my mum she's tired and she's leaving and will see her later. The door opens behind me, but my gaze doesn't leave the two girls. Fiyin pats my shoulder and smiles at me as she passes by me.

I can swear I know them from somewhere.

They're definitely not maids.

I watch Fiyin and the girls walk silently down the compound till they round the building to the front.

I should go see grandma soon.

I will go see grandma today

Know what? I'll just call up to her.

Go see-

"Grandma!!!!" I scream up to her window and I run towards the part of the building where her window is located. There's a one second pause before she replies and we have the same back and forth pleasantries we've had since I came home.

"My dear daughter how are you"

"I'm fine grandma how are you?"

"I'm fine dear, have a nice day"

Starting to sound like I talk to a machine everyday, normally she'd have sent me on like 10 errands.

Go see-

I shrugged. I'll see her later. She's not going anywhere. Literally.

As I walk back to the house, I think about my new boyfriend. Will he come see me today.

Phone.

I have a phone.

I laughed crazily and I ran inside. I couldn't even remember I had one. The irony. A phone which is the pillar, foundation, cement, concrete of every youth's life.

I picked up my phone from where it was, on my bed.

It wasn't there before

Finally

I spend the day on the phone doing God knows what.

In the evening I go outside to take a breather.

No cars in the compound.

No stars. No moon
No sounds. Just the wind.

It was ethereal in a sense. The silence in the low orange glow of light that protected you from total darkness.

I miss the moon.

I walk towards the front of the house silently, as I was about to turn round the building, alarms flash in my head, The voice in my head going haywire telling me to pull back. I do.

I thank God I had listened because I see the two girls holding hands as usual.

Quiet

But that's not the problem here, the problem is the small girl's face is buried in the neck of the larger one.

I watch the arms of the large one flex as she grips the smaller girls hand harder as though she's in pain. Her back is to me, but the smaller one is facing me with her face buried in the left side of her partner's neck.

I clearly see what is happening.

We definitely had it all mixed up. The smaller one is predator. She is definitely not prey. I think all this as I gasp, watching her suck the actual life out of her friend's neck.

Quiet!

Her face jerks up to look at me. Black eyes glowing, no pupils. She smiles at me with her blood coated lips and extended fangs. She lifts her hand to her mouth, cleans some of the blood there and uses that same bloody hand to wave at me. She actually heard my gasp, as silent as it was.

Really, if it was in another instance, that smile would have been seen as innocent and carefree and even genuine, but right now, it gave me "you're next" vibes.

The larger one falls forward, she apparently has lost consciousness, the smaller one holds her in her grip.

She opens her mouth to speak, not to me as you assume because for some reason, she has lost interest in me, but a door opens. The door I couldn't find. The door I forgot should be there. Like a fucking switch it's like I gain my senses back.

Thank God

Fiyin comes out of the door, but she doesn't see me. The smaller girl shrugs at something FIyin says but I can't hear anything. After a moment, She just walks inside following Fiyin.

The larger girl is still outside. Sitting on a slab of stone, rested against the wall, which her partner had propped her onto.

I don't know whether to run yet or not. That's when a dark figure scrambles out, pick her up hurriedly and was about to rush inside.

Someone who's not Fiyin or the vampire.

I unfortunately gasp again like the idiot I am. She turns around, and that's when I run, because she says something, something that's been haunting me the past few days,

You can see me?

**

1056 words
3-4.09.2021

Determined to finish this short story as quickly as possible lol

Love,
LA