we had no choice

/Split second time jumps/

Mikasa pov

"I'll carve you up, female titan!" I threatened reading my ODM blade watching as Annie stared at me. Her eyes weren't filled with hate but pure rage and I knew mine was no different.

//////////

My gear was back at the hideout leaving me partially defenceless. "You can try." Before she could use her ring I grabbed her hands and pinned them behind her back my own fingers wrapping over her ring feeling the blade cut into my skin.

"Stop," I begged her and she looked over her shoulder her blue eyes flashed with sadness making me gasp and let go of her.

//////////

On a rooftop, I had my blades drawn but I couldn't lift them or move to attack her. I was frozen in my spot. Annie's titan stared at me her hand outreached to me but she stopped a few feet from me, her fingers seemed to be trembling.

Neither one of us could hurt the other. We stood frozen by fear of hurting the other, at least I was.

//////////

"Mikasa!" I spun around running to the edge of the wall jumping to catch Annie who was falling off. "Annie!" I dove and grabbed her hand only to realise it was her titan.

"Annie?" I slipped down with her titan feeling her catch me in her hands as we plummet to the ground.

//////////

I stood above Annie watching as she fell to the ground a look of disbelief and fear in her eyes that shook me to the core. My own cold stare faltering at her expression.

When she landed she got out of her titan. "You don't have to do this," I said and rushed over to her.

In the blink of an eye, we both stood with drawn blades driven through our hearts. I felt blood burning my throat and trickle down the side of my mouth.

"We had no choice." Blood trickled down her mouth as she looked up at me with a soft regretful smile. Her eyes tired as the life slowly drained from them, all because of my blade stuck through her heart.

Third pov

Mikasa gasped sitting up in bed her hand patting her torso searching for the wound. Panting she looked down to see her torso wasn't covered in blood or impaled by the ODM blade.

Softly panting Mikasa looked over to her side to see an empty space. "Annie?" She sounded panicked as she spoke her eyes darted around. "Yeah?" From the doorway, Mikasa saw her lover's silhouette.

Putting on her night lamp Mikasa jumped up accidentally tugging the sheets with her. She threw it off and rushed over to Annie lifting her shirt to look for injuries.

"Um, Mikasa?" Annie saw the tired and stressed out look in her favourite grey eyes. "What's gotten into you?" Annie gently took hold of Mikasa's wrist as her hand rested over her heart.

"What happened?" Annie placed her half-eaten doughnut on the dresser cupping the tall woman's cheeks only to notice her tears. The taller woman focused on the heart beating beneath her touch, unfortunately, this time it didn't do much to calm her.

Mikasa's lips trembled as she looked into blue eyes she loves so dearly, ocean eyes that she happily drowned in. But as wonderful as it was there was still moments she felt like suffocating.

"I'm sorry," Mikasa whispered tearing her gaze away confusing the blonde. "I didn't want to." She whimpered breaking the blonde's heart.

"Hey, don't apologise." Annie didn't know what the reason for her lover's distressed state was so she wasn't sure what to say. "But - No." Annie pecked her lips silencing her.