Pursuit

Dr. Kyle was dressed in a crisp pin-striped suit, he neglected to call a lawyer. He was as cocky as his coworkers made him out to be. He barely even flinched when they presented the evidence against him. Tony and McGee had been questioning him for hours, however, this was a ploy to keep him occupied as Abby looked into his bank accounts and how he arranged for the bombs to arrive on base.

"This is ridiculous, why would I blow up the base where I work?!" Kyle was getting irritated, he was more concerned about his time than the gravity of the situation.

"Well, according to your coworkers you're not very fond of the Navy," said McGee.

"You ordered twice the necessary equipment for your department in the past three weeks," said DiNozzo, laying out the documents.

"We have new interns, residents transferring in," replied the doctor. "I had to make sure we were in stock."

"We went over personnel records, there have only been three new hires in the past couple of weeks," said McGee. "I worked at the Norfolk NCISRU, I know what it's like there and not many major accidents happen there."

There was a knock on the door Tony answered, accepting a file from Abby. He looked through it as he sat down.

"You've been under a lot of legal scrutinies for some time," said DiNozzo. "Women particularly don't like you. Kathleen Gibbs among them, you grabbed her and she wasn't very appreciative."

"Her suit against you was the final straw before the hospital opted not to renew your contract," added McGee.

Tony displayed the documents, bank documents from accounts in the Caymans.

"I bet that when you were offered a hundred grand to smuggle the bombs in you figured your problems would be over soon," said McGee.

"I want a lawyer."

"Try telling that to the Patriot Act."

"You know Kathleen's husband, Chief Special Warfare Operator Julian Gibbs, isn't someone who would just let this slide," said DiNozzo. "Imagine if he knew your involvement."

"You wouldn't—"

"You helped commit an act of terrorism, killing multiple service members and civilians alike," said Tony. "You're choice, a one-way ticket to Cuba or a widowed Navy SEAL."

. . .

Jace was going through Kathleen's belongings with his dad and Kathleen's parents while Lucy was watching the girls. Julian was looking over their wedding album, he couldn't help but think that this was all his fault.

"When my contract first ended I thought about changing careers, but Kath said that she didn't want me to adjust to her," Jace was deep in thought, thinking out loud. "She said that 'we were building something together."

Zoey sat beside him, putting a hand on his shoulder.

"Maybe if I had been more flexible—"

"She loved you for you, she didn't want you to change and as for what happened," Zoey was adamant, Jace was like a son to her and it pained her to see him like this. "It isn't on you.  You're on the front lines to stop the people who did this."

Everyone gathered around. Jace took a breath, he would not fail his country, he would not fail his team, he will not fail his family.

. . .

Ziva had just returned from Jace's, and Gibbs opted to stay with his family

Ziva had just returned from Jace's, and Gibbs opted to stay with his family. She noticed that Tony and McGee were gearing up in tactical vests.

"What do you have?"

"Doc Kyle's bank account led us to an account with charges to a warehouse in Baltimore," responded Tony.

"We're meeting with Fornell and FBI SWAT there now," said McGee.

Ziva grabbed her gear and rushed into the elevator with them.

The building was dimly lit, and the tac teams were securing the entrances. The NCIS agents were armed with M4s with the primary assault team. They were waiting for the go-ahead from overwatch.

"All teams on my mark—3, 2, 1. GO!"

The teams breached the door engaging gunmen from multiple sides. Ziva engaged one of the hostiles attempting to arm a set of IEDs. Once the last one was cuffed they separated the wounded from the scene and began processing everything. The NCIS team was going over a series of documents on one of the tables, and Ziva came across a series of documents in Arabic.

"Tim, Tony, these documents are about US Special Operations that took place in Afghanistan and Colombia," said Ziva, going through them frantically. "Counter-narcotics and WMD counter-proliferation operations."

"You think it's about the task force, our task force?" inquired DiNozzo.

"Terrorism and Transnational Organized Crime have been overlapping," said McGee. "Iraq has had some terror cells adopting modern methods of operating."

"Those cells gather funding through not only drug and arms trade but in hostage ransoms, bank robberies as well," said Ziva.

"They realize the task force is in the way of their income, so they go on the offensive," theorized Tony.

"If that's true, then the federal agencies involved could be at risk of the same attacks," said Ziva.

Everyone called the task force's DOJ and DNI members, warning them of the potential danger.

. . .

Jace was talking to his in-laws, they wanted him to continue his career and keep fighting. He had his concerns, the girls had just lost their mother and if he died they'd be orphans.

"Worry about that when you're there," said Zoey. "You've given so much to stop and Kathleen would want you to keep saving lives."

"We'll be here for the girls," said Walt, he had lost his daughter but he refused to let the terrorist take more away from his family. "We're here for you too."

Jace knew that they were right, the best way to fight those responsible for the attacks was to keep fighting. He'll continue to serve active duty, he won't let the terrorists take anything else away from him or his family.

. . .

The FBI, DEA, and other agencies involved looked into the threat of incoming attacks. Three cells were tracked down and eliminated, and so far everything seemed clear. Gibbs linked up with the rest of the team, they had just returned from Kathleen's funeral. The Navy was holding a ceremony for the lives lost, the Secretary of the Navy and President released a statement that the Guild of The New Era, GTNE, was designated as a priority one threat.

Jace came in, dressed in his Dress Blues, Tony and McGee gave him, Gibbs, and Ziva a moment alone.

"So you still going to accept the offer?" asked Gibbs.

"Of course," responded Jace. "Kathleen would want me to, if I didn't there'd be no justice for her and the others."

"DEVGRU will be lucky to have you."

"Good luck, Jace," said Ziva, however, she knew that he wouldn't need it.