Chapter fourteen: A fox in my bed

Ares.

"Don Ares, I don't know what that girl put in your head but I assure you this is nothing more than a misunderstanding. I would hope this doesn't interfere in our business." Lucian Marx, a Cuban man known for his ruthlessness, and I wonder what ties he has to my little fox.
The more he talked, the more he smirked the less likely I was to sign that deal between the Russians and Cubans, we could find better guns elsewhere.
"What's this talk about a war Lucian," I state rather than question so he wouldn't try to lie.
He chuckles with darkness, Apollo shifts to my left, and I see him subtly reach for his gun, our men behind me ready to attack with the word.
Lucian however doesn't seem ready to attack, instead, he turns, making a gesture one of his men approach with a folder as thick as the Bible.
"Like I said Don, I don't know what that girl has told you. But she's nothing more than a menace, a piece of trash someone forgot to take out." He tosses the file at my feet and the contents spill out. The headlights of our car illuminating the paperwork and pictures.
Bending down, I grab the first picture on top, broken, sad emerald eyes look back at me last swollen and bruised flesh, ragged red hair cut and seemingly ripped out in some places.
She looks so young, small in the pictures, and the ones after don't look any older, some even younger and I find myself growing angry with every bruise, busted lip, and laceration I come across in each picture. It was like someone was filming her mutilated childhood and enjoyed it.
Lucian flicks his lighter and his dark face lights up momentarily until it disappears behind a fluff of smoke and he exhales loudly.
"What the fuck is this?" I growl shoving the pictures back in the folder and shoving them into Armando's hands. "Don't fucking open it." I snap as Lucian's laughter booms around us.

"That Ares is the truth about your little minx. Nothing more than an orphan found in Ireland dragged across the continent. She not worth the sweat on your brow Don." I feel my beast rear its ugly head. The anger builds like a high tide and before I know it my gun is cocked aimed at Lucian.
The leader of the Cuban Cartel and putting a bullet in him now will surely start the war Sin was so worried about.
"You don't tell me what my woman is worth." His eyes budge at my claim and I hear Apollo hiss next to him but draw his gun as well.
"From this moment on, Sin is under the protection of the Russian Mafia. You threaten her, you will truly start a fucking war." I spit at his feet, walking backward before ducking into the back seat of my SUV. My men splitting off between the two cars as we peel away from the alleyway. Armando beside me with the file tucked in his grasp and Apollo to my other side. I don't have to be his twin to know he's displeased, he'd much rather we walk away from the situation completely and a part of me knows I should but fuck if it's not those gems of eyes, that hair the color of the same flames that will probably greet me in death.
It's her essence, her soul feels pure, unscathed while her exterior is hard and spiky to the touch. She's a woman scorned and damn if I'm not a man wanting her burn.
"Ares." Armando hands me the file, heavy to the handle, placing my hand flat over it I sigh, if the pictures were just a glimpse I can only imagine what is to come with her story.
The pictures made voles crawl up my throat and I torture, kill and rob for a living but these bastards had tortured a young girl and turned her into a woman trying to survive long enough to get revenge.
I want to show her the peace that comes after, while you're still alive. It bothers me deeply to know she thinks she only finds peace in death after all the hell she's been through peace is exactly what she deserves but alive and well, with me.

I lock the file into my desk before trudging up to my room, greeting Claudia in the hallway with a basket of clothes. "Good evening Claudia, how is she?" I ask. A sad look overtakes her as she shakes her head sadly.
"She's stayed outside up until an hour ago, she's just fallen asleep." I glance at my watch on my wrist and sigh. It's six in the morning, "thank you." Claudia has been around since my mother hired her and she was like a grandmother.
Apollo pauses on his way to his room, glancing at me before looking down a frown etched into his features. I pause, waiting for him to say what's on his mind.
"Just be careful Ares. The more you learn about the girl the more harmless she seems but-" he sighs shaking his head and walking off to his room without another word and I punch the bridge of my nose, at least he's starting to see the Angel for what she is and not what she was made to be.

My room is dark, a cool breeze cutting in from the open window, that I never open and I smirk, Sin red hair splayed across my crisp white sheets, her small body flared across the bed as blankets kicked at the bottom.
One of my shirts and a pair of my boxers were the only thing protecting her naked body from my view and by the way her breast pressed against their fabric I know she's not wearing a bra. Little fox sure can make herself comfortable, I think as I shed my clothes.
Careful crawling into the bed, I freeze as she turns toward me, sleepy green gems shining at me. Lips puffed from sleep, "Hey Angel." I whisper.
Reaching down I pull the cover over us, pausing because I know she wants to say something. She blinks sleepily, her voice rasped and quiet with sleep.
"Ares, I don't remember a lot.."
"Shh, we can talk about that when we wake up." I pull her close, her skin cool and soft against mine, she's always cold.
"Lilith." I tense.
"What's that baby?"
"I think my name is Lilith." She murmurs before slipping back into unconsciousness.
"Lilith." I test out into the darkness of my room, running my fingers through her unruly red hair.

[A/N: If you haven't, check out the start of book III of the I.Marley series ! It it's titled: Everything In Between- if follows Caesar and Marley's daughter Mianna. it can be standalone read or you can follow the series starting with book one titled - I. Marley
I plan to keep updating as much as I can.

Don't forget to
Like
Comment
Vote
💜