thirty one.

CHAPTER THIRTY ONE
no stress

Hakeem

Hakeem texted Cookie and told her to meet him somewhere. She surprisingly agreed. He thought she'd curse him out since he'd been giving her so much trouble ever since she came back, but she didn't. Hakeem was glad she didn't because that was the old him. He wasn't doing that shit anymore.

His aunts were right. He only had one mother, and if something happened to Cookie, he'd be devastated. Plus, Lucious didn't have that much longer to live, so he needed to let go of his grudge because when he was gone, Hakeem was going to need Cookie.

Cookie was walking up to him, wearing another one of her fur coats. She really loved those things. "Hakeem? This is a surprise. I thought it was a prank at first."

"Na, I wouldn't waste your time like that. I know your time is valuable."

Cookie just observed him. "Hm. Didn't think you cared about my time."

He didn't before, but he did now. He jerked his head to the side. "Walk with me, Ma."

They walked and talked.

"Pop told me you moved out," Hakeem began.

"What else did he tell you?"

"Nothing, but he seemed really..."

"Angry?" Cookie finished for him.

"Hurt," Hakeem corrected. "I don't think I've ever seen him this hurt before. Then he said you moved out, and I knew something happened."

Cookie filled him in. "Your father didn't like the fact that Jamal wrote a song about me. He feels like I didn't deserve it, so we exchanged a couple of words that I don't regret, and we're not talking right now."

"So you're never coming back to the mansion?"

"Oh, I'm coming back. I'm living with Candace for a couple of days to calm down my anger, but I'll be back for Ro."

"And for me?" Hakeem asked.

Cookie stopped walking now. "I didn't think you liked my presence."

Hakeem stopped walking and faced her. "I didn't before, but Jamal's song opened my eyes about a lot of things."

"Like what?"

"Like the fact that you didn't have a easy life at all. I didn't even know about your dad," he said.

"No one did except Jamal and Lucious. Now the whole world knows."

"I'm glad. Now everyone knows you gave up a lot for this family, and for Pop. I appreciate that. I'm sorry for assuming the worst about you. I was completely wrong," he apologized.

"Yes you were," Cookie affirmed. "But it's fine. You believed the lies Lucious fed you. He's the one to blame."

"Yeah. Well, I'm willing to let my grudge go. I want a relationship with you before it's too late."

She looked shocked. "You mean that?"

He smiled. "I do. Plus, I'm with Tiana now and I'm happier than ever. I don't wanna stress over nothing."

Cookie smiled back. "That girl is good for you."

She really was. "I like her so much, Ma. I wanna propose to her, for real one day."

"Okay, slow down. You've been dating for two days."

"I should've been with her a long time ago."

Cookie nodded. "Well, I wanna have a relationship with you too, baby. And I accept your apology."