Chapter 5

Katsuki jumped up into a seating position, his hands planted behind him against a soft surface to hold his weight up. His eyes widened as he processed the absurd amount of fear he felt. His breaths were heavy and irregular with his heart thrashing wildly in his chest.

He swallowed the saliva in his mouth, squinting his formerly wide eyes just as he was temporarily blinded by a bright flash of white and yellow. When his eyes slowly but eventually adjusted to the light, Katsuki realized that it was the sun leaking in from his window that had forced the vision away from him. He blinked, clueless and confused. Shaken and uneasy.

He looked around, clenching the white and blue blanket underneath his palms. His eyes darted to his dresser then to his nightstand next to his bed, then the curtains hanging from either side of his window. It gradually dawned on him: he was in his bedroom, in his school uniform. Bakugou lifted a hand and brushed his fingertips against his cheekbone. His skin was dampened, soaked with his own tears. He huffed out a loud breath of disbelief that almost came out as a laugh. Without a moment to waste, he hopped off of his bed, wiping the wetness off his face with his shirt before shuffling down the stairs.

The blonde ran down the hallway and stopped at a doorframe. There they were. Smiling in the kitchen, his father making breakfast and his mother washing the dishes. They looked at him and at that moment Katsuki wanted to fall to his knees and just stare at them. He wanted to cry at the sight of them. A wave of relief electrocuted his body, the sensation leaving him feeling weak but he didn't pay the feeling any mind. He scurried over without a word, pulling his mother into a tight hug. He couldn't help the tears that fell from his face.

Katsuki felt Mitsuki freeze under his grip. "Wha- Katsuki! What's the matter, brat?" Mitsuki exclaimed. Her voice was comfortingly calm, despite the louder than average volume to it. He found solace in her naturally loud voice. The woman shook the dirty dishwater off her hands above the sink before returning his hug.

Katsuki didn't say anything in return, he only hugged her tighter. He gritted his teeth to stop himself from sobbing in front of his mother, only allowing few tears to silently fall down his cheeks. He took in her familiar motherly scent and basked in the warmth her body ejected. He allowed himself to close his eyes because for a moment, nothing else mattered but only his mother, his real mother, holding him as she used to when he was a toddler. When he opened his eyes again, he had a clear view of his father who stood by the stove with a face written with concern. Masaru met his son's gaze, his facial features softening at the apologetic look on Katsuki's face. The older man turned to turn off the stove before approaching him, stopping when he stood behind his wife to face his son. His hand moved to Katsuki's cheek and wiped away the quiet tears that continue to roll down his cheeks in an uneven pattern. Bakugou closed his eyes at his father's touch, his heart aching at the thought of his dream that felt so real. So true. His fear of losing them again caused Katsuki to swiftly pull his father into the hug, embracing them both. His parents didn't protest, they only held their son while exchanging confused and worried glances.

The family stood there in silence, sharing their warmth and reassurance in their group hug. Five minutes felt like seconds when Katsuki was finally ready to break the hug, facing them with a weary smile. Masaru asked him what was wrong, Mitsuki added in with the famous "you can tell us anything" line. Katsuki only shook his head, his smile slightly widening.

"I love you guys, I'm glad I have you as parents," Katsuki said, receiving shocked stares from the two adults in front of him.

"We love you too," Masaru added quickly, smiling at his boy.

"Yes, but hurry up. You're gonna be late for school." Mitsuki prompted. Katsuki eyes widened with realization.

School.

School.

He ran off without another word, racing out of the house through the front door. Katsuki dashed down the neighborhood and straight for his middle school. His lungs started to burn the faster he raced, his legs beginning to feel sore and eventually, screaming for him to slow down. But he didn't. He couldn't. His chest burst with expectancies and impatience. He ran faster as soon as he saw his school come to view. Once he was in front of the building, he skidded to a halt almost tripping over his own feet in the process. Katsuki scanned the students scattered at the front of the school, squinting his eyes to block the sunlight from disorienting his line of sight. He nearly panicked all over again, desperately trying to find the familiar face he was searching for.

That was when he saw him, the view of him made him freeze in place. He sucked in a breathe, subconsciously holding it in. He felt his heart flutter with relief. Izuku was leaning against the large oak tree, his forest green eyes on one of the pages of his crumpled-up notebook, scribbling something on the paper with a small broken-down pencil. Katsuki had to force himself to push aside his shock; seeing Izuku standing there felt like a dream, like a hallucination sugarcoating the fact that he momentarily lived in a world where Izuku's blood stained his hands. Was he really there? Alive and breathing, freckles, stupidly hopeful smiles, and all? Only one way to find out.

Katsuki began rushing toward him, shoving people that were in his way to the side and ignoring the shouts he received afterward. Deku noticed, looking up from his notes to look at his blonde classmate. The boy smiled weakly as if Katsuki didn't tell him to do the unthinkable yesterday, waving his hand in greetings as he took a step away from the tree.

"Oh hey, Kaccha-ah!" The smaller male screamed when he realized the blonde was running full-speed towards him. Izuku braced himself for the worse, one leg lifting to his chest while his hands covered his head. Katsuki disregarded his defensive stance and pulled him into an embrace as soon as he was close enough.

"K-Kacchan?" Izuku whispered with a stutter. He opened his eyes at the feeling of his former childhood best friend's hug, completely caught off guard by the way the blonde's arms locked around his chest and over one shoulder. Katsuki wasn't quick to speak, he only pulled the shorter boy closer at the sound of his voice. Eventually, Izuku relaxed his muscles and hesitantly returned the hug.

There was silence between the two boys, neither of them daring to move or speak. They only held each other, ignoring the other students that passed by. Izuku found himself hugging Katsuki tighter, tears threatening to fall from his eyes. This wasn't just any hug. This was a hug for their younger selves. Izuku could feel it. It was for the childhood they shared together. It was an apology to the kids they once were that would play innocently at the park together. To the kids who were inseparable since birth. To the kids who got lost in the midst of the rivalry and hate. It stood for amends and peace for the future they were going to be a part of. Together.

Katsuki wasn't sure if he needed to say it out loud; he could hear Izuku's quiet cries in his left ear that suggested he understood. But he was willing to say it whether he needed to or not.

"Deku..." There was a pause before he corrected himself. "Izuku, I'm sorry," Katsuki murmured, so quiet that he wasn't sure if Izuku had heard him. But he did.

"I know, Kacchan..." Izuku replied shakily, sniffling.

Katsuki instantly felt lighter at the hint of forgiveness, at the weight of guilt and grief that lingered long after he'd woke up falling off his shoulders. He knew he'd been spared of all the horrible things that could have happened to him, such as everything that did in his dream. He was given a second chance to redeem himself, to free himself from the torment of his own ignorance. He felt as if he'd fought multiple battles with himself and finally won. He won.

He won.

————