Chapter Three: Fake

Mac moaned into the cookie he had taken from the box I had snuck away for him. We were sitting in his family pick up truck, getting ready to go for a hike since we both desperately needed to get away.

Two years of knowing Mac and all he loved most to do was run away with me and eat.

Mac and I headed out on the trail, walking through the trees and breathing in the fresh air. March was brisk, let me be Frank, but it was still a warm March for us. The snow was gone and it was starting to really look like spring with everything beginning to grow again.

We were quiet for a long time, just walking, listening to the birds and the breeze until I ranted and raved to Maxwell all about how my families were still being ridiculous over me even though it had been over two years since they met, knowing I was adopted and stolen.

Max and I stopped at a this little creek that had clean and cool water.

Little did I know that Max wanted to go swimming in it.

"Come on, it's going to get your mind off of your family and it would be fun. Don't you think?"

Instead we stood at the edge, his trousers rolled up past his ankles as I held my dress, bunched at my sides. We were trying to catch minnows and look for frogs.

"I really do wish my parents would just let me have my own money to buy some of those fancy pants the tailor is selling. They look so comfortable and I wouldn't have to struggle so much doing things like hiking in a stupid dress or trying to catch minnows with my hands full of skirt."

Max furrowed his brows at me. "They don't let you have your own money? I've got my own back account. Been saving for this little cottage I found. Would be enough for me and for you to visit if you'd like."

I sighed though, feeling ironically a frog in my throat as he stepped a few feet farther into the water, searching for frogs to put all over my shoulders and head like he's done multiple times before.

"They control everything. Women just have no power. Even if we do go out and work as a secretary or a teacher or a nurse, we don't get the checks. Our family takes them or husband or whomever has testosterone, not us."

Max didn't seem to settle with the idea of that much as we searched for living life in that little creek.

The slimy rocks were under our bare feet as he asked: "but at least you get to choose a husband, right? Choose someone you can have your own money with."

I laughed sarcastically as max waded over with a frog in his hand, coming to put it on my head again probably.

"It's why my parents have been fighting. Frank and Mable want me to marry a Jewish boy and Broderick and Fiona want me to marry a Catholic boy. I don't even know what it's like to kiss someone or even have romantic feelings towards another person let alone get married to them."

Mac put the frog gently on my head, making me giggle at how strange it felt. He spoke as he held the frog still on me. "That doesn't seem right. You won't even get to choose, will you?"

I shrugged as the frog jumped away, making him huff.

Max searched my eyes for a second then took my hand. "Phoebe, I want to tell you something."

I nodded, now very worried about my best friend. He looked so nervous and worried about what I would have to say.

"I've been thinking very seriously about enlisting. I want to keep you safe. I hate knowing some Kraut could come here and take away all those gingersnaps you make me and hurt you, when I know you've been through more than enough pain already."