Chapter Five: It changes

It was ridiculous, wasn't it?

It was wildly insane that I would much rather marry my best friend than have to stay cooped up with my ridiculous families.

But I would do anything for freedom. The price was only a white dress and a piece of paper the bound me and Mack together for life.

But really... was it silly that this was our only thought as to how we would grow up and become our own selves?

Maybe I was just being so anxious because I wasn't wearing the wedding dress of every girls dreams nor was it even new.

My dress only fell to my lower shin and had small cap sleeves, but I was still modest

My dress only fell to my lower shin and had small cap sleeves, but I was still modest. I knew my little white dress that I had worn over one hundred times in my life was all I would have to wear on my wedding day.

The day that I was sure for twenty odd years would never come.

I gave myself some finger curls and tried to clean up nicely. I stared in the mirror, knowing I would have to stop being so upset over the dress and just wear it.

I just wanted to make sure I looked alright the day I signed myself over to Maxwell.

The morning was quiet as always. Frank and Mable were at the butcher, trying to close shop for the day for my wedding after getting a delivery.

I hoped they would be late.

I know David and Elijah were with Maxwell and his brothers, helping set up the tent and help clean up the yard at the cottage house.

I sat in my ever so empty bedroom, thinking about whether I should decorate the little cake I had made. I wondered then if I should decorate it for Maxwells departure or the wedding.

It was a question that I left unanswered and just decorated it with little white icing flowers and pretty piping on-top of the white icing base of the reasonable two Teri round cake.

"How in the hell am I going to be able to kiss him again?"

———

I grabbed Oliver's rolled shirt sleeve as we stood outside with our brothers and Gingers brothers chatting and taking a break at the large dinner table we set outside.

I dragged him to the edge of the tent, away from the boys as he gave me concerned eyes.

"Woah woah, settle down."

I hushed him harshly. "Just be quiet," I told him quietly, scolding him again.

Oliver quickly caught onto my nervous energy. "What's wrong with you? Cold feet?"

I gripped his shoulders as I whispered. "I like her. I really like her."

Oliver furrowed his brows at me. "Have you been hittin' the sauce?"