Now They Gather

time has been skipped to the day of prom (the before-party at Eliza's house is at 5pm, and prom itself starts at 7pm)

3:18pm

"Hey, quit blinking! I'm trying to do your mascara," you said to Hayley, annoyed.

"Is mascara really necessary?" Hayley complained. You'd been doing her makeup for the past 15 minutes now, and you were only about halfway done.

"Yes, it'll make your eyelashes look better. Now try to keep your eyes still," you said, going back in with the mascara.

Luckily, Hayley kept her eyes still and you were able to get the mascara done. You pulled back and Hayley turned the small mirror towards her.

"You were right, I do look good," she said, admiring your work.

"Oh I'm not done yet," you said, digging into your bag of tricks and pulling out some lip gloss, "Now pucker up!"

4:23pm

Finally, you put the finishing curls into your hair and turned off the curler. Now it's time to put on the dress that you'd been staring at even since you bought it.

Hayley was still finishing up her own hair, so you took your dress into the bathroom to change. You peeled off your own clothes (pajamas) and stepped into the dress, zipping it up behind you and adjusting the fabric.

You walked back to your room and stepped in front of the full-length mirror. Damn, you looked hot. You did a few twirls and watched as the bottom of the dress flowed around before settling.

Hayley looked up from her hair shenanigans, "Oh my gosh, Y/N, you look gorgeous!"

"Thanks!" you said, attaching the buckle of the bracelet you'd picked out.

A few minutes later, Hayley finished her hair and left the room to change into her suit. When she came back...

"Wow, lookin' sharp! Esme is gonna be one lucky person!"

Hayley giggled in embarrassment, "Aww, thanks. I can't wait to see them!"

"Me neither! I'm so excited for this," you agreed, putting on your heels. You needed them, because of course you happened to be going to prom with the tallest boy in school.

After you and Hayley double and triple checked everything you might need, you grabbed your Polaroid camera and headed to Hayley's car. It was a quick drive to Eliza's house, where you saw Eliza sitting on her front lawn, a few tables and chairs set up around some aesthetically pleasing lawn torches. Tom was pouring what looked to be lemonade into a few glasses.

As Hayley pulled into the driveway, Eliza came to attention and rushed to greet both of you. You stepped out of the car and hugged Eliza. She was wearing the red dress you'd seen her agonize over picking, with three-inch heels to help her attempt to match Tom's height. While he wasn't as tall as Ran (though he would still try to convince you otherwise), he was by no means short.

"Damn, queen, you look smokin'!" Eliza exclaimed after seeing your outfit, "Ran's one lucky guy,"

You laughed, "Girl, I could say the same about you! Holy shit, you're absolutely gorgeous!"

Hayley stepped out of the car and shut the door behind her. Eliza ran up to her and embraced her as well, "Hayley, you look awesome! I never knew you looked that good in a suit,"

"Haha, thanks! And you look amazing, Eliza! You too, Tom," Hayley said.

Tom tried to put on a smug grin, a sort of "yeah, I know" kind of vibe, but he just looked awkward. He adjusted his red bowtie, "U-uh, lemonade, anyone?" he offered.

"Hell yeah, I'm thirsty," you said, walking over to the drinks table.

After Tom had finished pouring the drinks, you saw another car pull up. Esme stepped out, wearing a navy blue vest matching Hayley's tie. Hayley stood in shock, until you nudged her in the side, trying to brush off a little confidence for her to greet your date.

Hayley and Esme slowly walked up to each other.

"Hi Esme! You look great!"

"So do you, Hayley!"

They were both extremely awkward, so you gave Hayley a shove from behind so that Esme was forced to catch her and they ended up hugging. "Y/N!" Hayley said, meanwhile neither her nor Esme could stop laughing. You joined in on the laughter.

Eliza greeted Esme, and Tom gave them a fist-bump and a glass of lemonade.

5:07pm

Where was Ran, you wondered. It had been about fifteen minutes since you'd arrived at Hayley's house, and you hadn't gotten a text from him. You knew you were overreacting, but no offense to your friends, you were most excited to see Ran.

Finally, you saw Ran's car pull into the driveway. You rushed to greet him.

Just as Ran was climbing out of the driver's seat, you jumped into his arms, him catching you and hugging you, "Nice to see you too, Y/N," he said.

"Hi Boo!" you said excitedly.

He carefully set you down on the ground, his face turning to shock as he saw you in full for the first time. He was almost speechless.

"Y/N you...you look beautiful!" he was able to get out, slowly gaining back his confidence.

"You look pretty nice yourself!" you said. Ran held out his arm and you took it, walking back to the rest of the group. Toby had already fallen into a conversation with Esme, and Hayley was talking to Tom and Eliza. Everyone greeted everyone else, and you all started talking about how excited you were for the big night.

Ran pulled you aside, "I've got another surprise for you," he said, as he walked back to his car and opened the backseat. He pulled out a clear plastic case and pulled out one of the objects in it.

"A corset! Oh, Ran, it's beautiful!" you exclaimed. Ran slipped the corset onto your wrist. It was a white flower with a few purple-y smaller buds around it. In the plastic container was another flower of a similar style with two pins sticking through it. You took it out and pinned it to Ran's jacket, making sure you didn't poke him in the chest.

Eliza's mom brought out cheese and crackers and some cranberry juice and wine glasses (don't drink, kids. it'll ruin you brain cells). You all ate and chatted for a while. It was fun! Tom thought it was funny to pretend the juice were shots. It was funny. But let's just say everyone was glad that his tie was red.

"Picture time!" Eliza's mom exclaimed, coming out of the house with a camera.

You all gathered in front of Eliza's garden. The first taken was everyone together, first formal, then a healthy amount of silly ones. Eliza's mom took individual pictures of each of you, "for the memories," she said. It was a little awkward to just be standing there by yourself, but Ran made a few funny faces behind the camera to get you smiling.

"Okay, now I want one with each of the dates. Eliza and Tom?" Eliza's mom asked them to come up to the garden. They stood together in various poses while pictures were snapped.

"Brilliant! Now Ran and Y/N?" You and Ran walked up to the garden. You didn't exactly know what pose you were supposed to do. Ran put his hands gently around your waist, replicating the traditional prom date pose. You smiled for the camera. Awkward, but you knew you'd be happy for the pictures in the future.

Photos were taken of Hayley and Esme, and then Toby dragged his brother in to do some pictures with him. Tom was a little upset about having to take so many photos, but in the end, it was a fun time that they'd all want to remember.

You looked at your phone. 6:45! Oh no, where did the time go? Prom started at 7!

You all packed into a few cars, helping each other with fitting the ends of the dresses through the doors without getting them too wrinkled.

And so, you were off to prom!

Hey everyone! Stay tuned for more prom antics...

Word count: 1359