1.

Derek urged his black stallion faster, as he rode the beast hard in an effort to drive some of the pain from his heart. Anger was the main emotion raging in Derek lately - anger at being fooled by the woman he'd agreed to marry. True love was obviously just an illusion, even for one of the most desirable men in England.

The ominously dark skies matched his mood, and the rain was starting to fall harder. The stallion snorted, as Derek guided him along the rocky trail, as if to voice his opinion at the foolishness of being out in such nasty weather. "Easy, Satan," he murmured, patting the horse's neck in encouragement. "We'll be home soon enough."

Water dripped from Derek's black hair, and a scowl was on his face, as he rode on through the rain. He was not often here at Gracewood Manor, the family estate in the country, but he needed to escape the court in London and it's gossip for a time. It had been a few months since he had been made a fool of, discovering his betrothed tumbling in bed with the man he'd considered a friend since childhood. Catching them in his bed, in his London townhouse, had been the ultimate betrayal by both of them. Lady Addison Montgomery, with her long red hair loose around her face, her naked body entwined in the arms of Sir Marcus Sloan, hadn't even realized that Derek was standing there watching them. Not until she raised her head from Marcus's cock, her lips wet with his juices, and met Derek's disdainful gaze. And even then, she had just laughed, as he walked away in disgust. Obviously, he wasn't good enough to keep her satisfied, and he was only relieved to discover her infidelity prior to wedding her.

It was, he supposed, a serious shock to his confidence, and his faith in the fairer sex. He had been without female company since that day, despite the fawning of the silly girls at court, who were all more than willing to warm his bed. Shaking his head, he realized he had been without sexual favors for too long now, but there were no women that had captured his interest.

He took a deep breath, and wiped some of the rain from his eyes, the clean damp air filling his lungs. He loved this land, and he regretted not spending more time here. His sister, Kate, lived here full time, having been widowed with twin sons, and left destitute. His mother, also widowed recently, had moved to London, but still kept a watchful eye on her son. The rest of his sisters were scattered across the countyside, married, with children of their own to care for.

The rain was easing up slightly, and he turned the stallion to head back to the stables. Then he pulled up, his eyes catching the movement of something beneath the large tree at the edge of the clearing. It shifted again, and he wheeled Satan around to find out what it was. He came to a stop in the mud, staring down through the rain at a small figure bundled against the driving rain.

"What the devil?" he asked himself, dismounting the horse, and walking closer. Satan trailed along behind him, his eyes rolling suspiciously. Derek bent down, putting his hand out to touch the figure, and discovered it was a woman. She lifted her head from her knees, her fair hair plastered to her forehead, and her sea green eyes wide with fright.

Derek held his hand out to her, and she put her small hand in his after a moment's hesitation. She rose to her feet unsteadily, blinking away the drops that clung to her eyelashes. Her woolen cloak was soaked through, and clung to her petite body, outlining her curves. Without stopping to ask her name or what she was doing out in the cold, Derek picked her up easily and carried her over to where Satan waited patiently. She shivered in his embrace, and he could feel how cold she was against his chest. His brain swirled with questions, but they would have to wait. For the moment, he lifted her up in front of the saddle, and then jumped behind her. Wrapping one arm around her, the other pulling at the reins, he headed for home.

She relaxed a bit against him, feeling his heart beating solidly beneath her cheek as he held her securely against him. No words were exchanged on the ride, the rain misting around them more gently. She sighed deeply, feeling safe in his arms, but somewhat foolish for getting lost like she did. She knew she would have to explain herself once they got back to Gracewood.