35.

"Good morning, Miss Isobel," Marcus said softly, finding her sitting prettily under the rose arbor, where she observed the servants setting up the canopy for the next day. "You look lovely this morning, but I'm surprised to find you out here so early."

"I was awake at dawn, unable to go back to sleep," she replied. "You are out early yourself, sir." Her eyes took in his casual appearance, his white shirt open at the collar, tucked into fitted dark trousers.

"I was restless, I've had enough sleep this last week. May I sit down?" He looked at the spot beside her on the bench.

"Of course," she murmured, shifting to the edge of the bench. "You are feeling better?"

"Very much so, thanks to your tender care," he told her, with a twinkle in his eyes. "Your kiss must have done the trick."

Izzie drew a trembling breath, remembering that kiss in vivid detail. As a matter of fact, that kiss was the very reason she was unable to sleep. She twisted her fingers in her lap, trying to think of some flirtatious comment to make, but nothing came to mind. She wasn't accustomed to this kind of thing, and she bit her lip, looking away from his face. And his lips, which she longed to feel against hers again. A hot little quiver ran along her spine at the thought.

"Oh, sir, you tease me," she finally murmured.

Marcus reached over and placed his warm hand over her twisting fingers, and she finally had to look at him. "I'm sorry, I don't wish to tease you," he said, his voice deep and reassuring. "I forget you are not as bold as the women from the court, my dear. I should go."

"No, please...stay," she found herself saying, not wanting him to remove his hand from hers.

"Are you sure?" He gave her a smile, and her heart flipped in her chest.

"Very sure," she replied, drawn to him hesitantly. Then she remembered where they were, and she pulled back, suddenly mindful of the servants scurrying back and forth.

"Come, take a walk with me. I need to stretch my legs," he urged her, getting to his feet, and pulling her along with him. "I thought I might find Derek out at the stables, but he's nowhere to be found. The groom said that his horse is not in his stall, so he must be out riding."

"Then Meredith must be with him," Izzie commented, as they strolled out into the garden. "I expected to find her out here as well, but she's not."

Marcus chuckled knowingly. "Aha, of course. They've escaped for a final bit of time alone before the madness."

"You're calling the wedding madness? Is that how you view marriage?"

"No, of course not - just the procedure. I envy the happiness Derek has found with Miss Grey, though I can't imagine myself in the same position."

"So, you don't think you will ever marry?" Izzie asked.

"One day, I'm quite sure, when I find the right woman. I am the youngest son in my family, so there is no great need to produce an heir." They stopped walking, watching the ducks gliding through the water in the pond. Izzie felt the solid strength of his arm beneath her fingertips, and caught a faint whiff of his spicy cologne, as he turned to look at her. "I meant to thank you for tending to me after I was injured. I know it wasn't what you were expecting to do when you came out here for the wedding. I do appreciate it."

Izzie felt her cheeks turning pink. "Oh...you're welcome," she murmured, caught by the expression in his eyes.

"Isobel...I would very much like to kiss you again," he said, leaning in towards her.

"Oh...yes..." Izzie responded, lifting her face to his, closing her eyes, as his arms went around her. Her whole body tingled as she was pressed firmly against his muscular strength, and her thoughts were scrambled. She wanted this so badly, her legs felt like jelly as she waited breathlessly.