48.

The evening of the Spring Fete had finally arrived.

It was a beautiful spring evening, as the guests arrived at the luxurious townhouse of the Dowager Duchess of Gracewood. Carriage after carriage pulled up along the sweeping drive, the passengers emerging to gaze at the massive displays of roses lining the walkway, and along the stone steps leading to the front door. The warm evening air was redolent with the scent of the flowers, and everyone was abuzz with excitement as they walked inside. Even more swags of white roses and orchids were strung along banisters and doorways, delicate pink velvet ribbons accenting among the greenery.

As the butler announced each group of guests, they headed towards where Eleanor was holding court, flanked by Derek and Meredith on one side, and Kate and Alex on the other. The rest of the family had been unable to attend, but all sent their best wishes for the party.

Meredith felt as if she had stumbled into a fairy tale ball, it was all so wonderful. Footmen circulated with trays of wine and champagne, and delicacies if anyone was hungry. The glow of dozens of candles, and the massive chandelier overhead, shone warmly. Soft music, played by a string quartet, served as a background to all the chattering, laughing people that were there to see, and be seen by, the toast of current society.

There was going to be dancing later on, in the grand ballroom, and Eleanor had planned to announce before then that her daughter was getting married, and that her new daughter-in-law was indeed the Duke of Roxburghe's child. She smiled to herself, imagining the talk that little announcement would bring. She glanced approvingly at Meredith, who looked radiant that evening in her gown of lavender watered silk, which caught the light as she moved, and clung to her slender body perfectly. The corset beneath it helped her breasts to rise in warm curves at the low neckline, and emphasize the narrow waist. Her honey hair was piled high, except for one lone curl which trailed enticingly over her shoulder, and she wore the choker of amethysts that Eleanor had given her. It was clear to everyone that she was indeed fit to be a Duchess, and that Derek adored her - his eyes never strayed far from her, even as other guests drew him into conversations. He looked rakishly handsome that evening as well, in his dark jacket and trousers, with a charcoal waistcoat perfectly tailored to his lean torso. His dark hair was tousled just enough to give the impression of sinful temptations, and women cast envious glances at Meredith that she was the lucky one he had chosen as his bride.

Meredith's Dress:

Meredith's necklace: