Chapter 45

"Where is it?" A large hand shoved Cassandra's head beneath the water. Squeezing her eyes shut she held her breath. After a minute her lungs expanded like balloons in her chest.

Just when dark spots filled her vision her head was yanked out of the bathtub. Gasping, she inhaled the air greedily, water dripping down her face.

The hand fisted in her hair shoved her onto the tile. Her torturer crouched beside her, dark eyes dead and soulless. Cassandra had dubbed him Woman Beater because the only time he showed an inkling of joy was when he beat the shit out of her.

"Are you going to answer the question?" Woman Beater said with preternatural calm.

She noticed he had food crumbs in his unkept beard and a piece of lettuce wedged in his nicotine stained teeth.

A steel-toed boot kicked her in the ribs when she didn't respond right away.

"I can't answer what I don't know." Cassandra wheezed, every single word an effort. Her throat was on fire and she was pretty sure the asshole cracked a rib.

They had been through this a million times over the last however long. In the dark dank cell she was kept in it was impossible to keep track of time with any certainty. Cassandra hadn't seen Thor since she woke up.

She curled her fingers into a fist, willing magic to spark into her palm. Nothing happened. They were blocking her power somehow, leaving her weak and powerless as a mewling kitten. Woman Beater liked that.

Which is why he sported a few bruises of his own. Cassandra smiled noticing the black ring around his eye from where she clocked him on the way to the torture room.

Though Woman Beater had made her pay for it by wrenching her arms behind her back and zip-tying her wrists, it had been worth it.

Woman Beater selected a long heavy chain from the weapons rack. Threading the links through his thick fingers, a cruel smile edged his mouth. "I'm going to enjoy this."

"I'm sure you are, you sick fuck." Cassandra lashed out with her foot, sweeping his legs out from beneath him. His hideous bald head cracked against the wet tiles.

Scissoring into a sitting position, Cassandra bit her lip against the pain shooting along her ribs and crawled over to Woman Beater on her knees as he started to come around.

Twisting to the side, she elbowed him in the face, wishing her hands were free to slam his head into the tile over and over again until his head caved in. Woman Beater had made her reevaluate her no-killing policy.

He was the exception.

Blood dripping from his nose, Woman Beater slammed her into the floor with a snarl and wrapped the chain around her neck. "If the boss didn't want you alive, I'd have killed you days ago, stupid cunt." He hissed in her ear, digging the links into her throat.

*************************************************************************************

Cassandra came to in a white sterile room. She was strapped to a metal table and had been stripped down to her undergarments.

The sharp purposeful footsteps coming down the hall caused her to flinch.

Her second tormentor, Mad Scientist strode into the lab a serene expression on his face. "How are you today, Dr. Pierce?" He asked with a kind smile.

Cassandra glared at him mutely. Limp dick, didn't actually think she was going to act like this was perfectly ordinary?

"Ah, I see. Chad can be quite a brute." Noticing the red marks around her throat, Mad Scientist clucked sympathetically. "I'll take a look at your injuries before we proceed with our tests."

"Hmm. Bruised ribs, not broken." He cleaned her cuts and bruises methodically, talking in a friendly manner the entire time. "Our linguistics team is working around the clock to translate the markings on your back. Dr. Ralph is optimistic."

Cassandra gazed up at the white paneled ceiling, unable to stand Mad Scientist's narrow gaunt face for another second. At least Woman Beater was honest about who he was.

She almost preferred her time with the ham-fisted moron, to time spent in the lab with this twisted freak.

Mad Scientist finished his first aid and wheeled a tray of implements over. "The blood tests were inconclusive. I'm afraid I'm going to have to do another draw." He swabbed the crook of her arm with alcohol. "You are quite a mystery, young lady."

Cassandra licked her dry lips. "Who are you working for? Morgan le Fey? I knew she had an army of minions but this is on a whole other level."

Mad Scientist wagged his finger at her as if she were a naughty child. "Dr. Pierce, you know full well I can't divulge the identity of my employer without their permission. Though I suspect, they will speak with you before long."

Once he finished the blood draw, Mad Scientist fished a red sucker out of his lab coat pocket and stripped off the plastic. He leaned over with a beatific smile. "You've earned it." Then he slipped the hard candy between her lips and ruffled her hair.

A burst of artificial cherry filled her mouth. Humming cheerfully, Mad Scientist used a remote control to shift the metal table into an upright position.

Cassandra's toes brushed against the cement floor. She spit the sucker out. "What next, doc? A trip to an iron maiden?"

Mad Scientist beamed. "I'm so glad you asked. Since you've been such a good girl, my employer has given me permission to take you on a little field trip."

The shackles holding her to the table snapped free. Cassandra massaged her wrists. "I'm not going to like this at all, am I?"

Mad Scientist gave her a robe to wear. She followed him down a series of cinderblock hallways until they came to a steel door guarded by a pair of burly men. "Open it, please."

After a second of hesitation the guards obeyed Mad Scientist. He swept into the room. "Come along, I have someone who is going to be happy to see you."

They were in a clean, well-kept hospital room. Cassandra gasped when she saw the occupant of the bed. "Mom?"

Mad Scientist inhaled deeply. "Ah, I love family reunions. This one is especially sweet. You haven't seen your mother in a long while, from what I understand. Don't worry, she has been well taken care of."

Cassandra shoved past him, lunging for the bed. "Mom!"

Eyes flooding with tears, Madeline Pierce reached for her daughter. "Cassie! Are you okay?" She hugged Cassandra close. "They haven't hurt you too badly, have they?"

Swallowing her own tears, Cassandra forced a brave smile into place. "I'll be fine. I've been worried sick about you! I'm so sorry they took you. I should have stopped them. It's all my fault."

Madeline tucked a curl behind her ear. "This is not your fault. Don't you dare take the blame for what these evil men have done. Its on them, not you."

This time, Cassandra lost the battle and the tears fell free. Her mom always knew what she needed to hear. "Mom, I-"

Mad Scientist cleared his throat. "I apologize, but I must be getting back to my lab. Come along, Dr. Pierce." Cassandra clung to her mother a few extra seconds, reluctant to let go. Sniffing, she straightened and followed Mad Scientist out the door.

Everything was abundantly clear. Mad Scientist didn't let her see her mom to be nice. It was a warning. The enemy's patience was nearly up.

A/N: Chapter 45, I can hardly believe it. I have to say, Mad Scientist gave me the creeps.