« 🥀 » 𝐜𝚑. 5

-͟͟͞͞➳ 𝐚𝐦𝐨𝐫 𝐯𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐢𝐭 𝐨𝐦𝐧𝐢𝐚

(𝑙𝑎𝑡𝑖𝑛 𝑝ℎ𝑟𝑎𝑠𝑒.) 𝑙𝑜𝑣𝑒 𝑐𝑜𝑛𝑞𝑢𝑒𝑟𝑠 𝑎𝑙𝑙.

They visit that same rooftop a few more times. There is a shy feeling of a butterfly's wings just about to burst free of its chrysalis in her chest every time they walk or run through the city streets on their way there, and every moment feels new.

"Are you so determined to take me out on a date?" Bomi teases once, after Ethan asks her to accompany him on another trip to the rooftop.

"Maybe I am." is his answer. She laughs at first despite the butterfly's fluttery insistence in her heart.

Then, he turns to her, and his face is completely serious and wholly sincere. He speaks again, and inquires, "What if I am?"

Her mouth opens, then shuts. She purses her lips in thought before carefully answering,"I'd tell you that you should tell a girl you like her before you try to take her on a date."

Ethan's ever-present smile is gentle, hopeful.

"In that case." He says slowly. "I think I like you. Very much."

She doesn't know what to feel, but she does know that this isn't unpleasant at all.

"I think I like myself, too." Is what she says reflexively, and she knows she would have been a bright red if she didn't blush well. Ethan's smile blooms wider, but from what, she doesn't know.

She speaks again hurriedly before the moment turns awkward. "And... And for the record, I think I like you too. Very much."

This particular incident doesn't change much about their excursions to the rooftop. They still laugh and joke and sit down to watch the bustle of the city in silence. The only difference is that now, they can shift closer together, find easy comfort in the brush of an arm or hands, and share smiles that mean more than anything ever could.

When Bomi gets back that night, Emma's there, and she's practically glowing.

"Well, someone's in a good mood," Bomi remarks.

Emma's eyes are gleaming. "There's this one girl, her name's Hailey. Preparing for law school like me."

Bomi falls onto the carpet beside Emma. Her roommate's smile is infectious. "Guess we both have good news to share."

They talk animatedly for a good half of the night.

Even as winter turns to spring and the days get longer and longer, the rooftop stays steady and strong, and so do they- all of them.

Spring is Bomi's favorite season. It has a feeling of something new, especially because Korean schools start in March. She's never been one for drastic changes, but she finds that small ones can be strokes of gold-tipped wonder- brushes of serendipity across the canvas of her life.

This spring in particular brings more than just a single shard of change, though.

Her relationship with Ethan is certainly new, but it's not the only thing that is.

She finds her schedule filling up more rapidly, what with projects and assignments popping up quicker than ever.

She's at the library, writing an essay- or trying to, at least. She's usually quick about writing assignments as long as she'd researched enough, but she can't seem to work this one out.

She stands up after a while to stretch and browse through some reference material, stifling a yawn. She nearly yelps when someone taps her shoulder.

She turns around, more surprised than irritated.

"Oh, Samar Lal, isn't it?" She asks. She recognizes the tall boy as being Ethan's closest friend. She hasn't had a chance to talk to him, though.

"Yep, that's me," Samar answers. "And you're Bomi Yoon. Ethan's absolutely infatuated with you, by the way."

Bomi doesn't know what to say to that, but Samar's crooked grin seems more mischievous and friendly than anything else.

He slides into step beside her as she shuffles towards the book section she's looking for. "I thought I'd like to meet you for myself, seeing as to how Ethan doesn't shut up about you. In a good way, of course."

Samar seems happy to do all the talking as she retrieves a relevant book.

"Oh, and don't worry," he says. "I'm not here to try to steal you, and I've got no plans to get your man, either. Proud aro."

Bomi laughs at that under her breath, and he seems delighted. "Ah, finally! You make a sound! And a laugh, too. You should tell Ethan to appreciate me and my sense of humor as much as you do."

"Maybe I will," she says. He winks.

"Okay, so that's not just what I'm here for," he tells her, suddenly looking gravely serious. "Do you have any intention to hurt my bro?"

Bomi's taken aback at the question and Samar's sudden change of attitude, but she answers truthfully. "Not at all."

"And any intention to leave him without giving it your all?"

"No, of course not," she answers again.

He relaxes, and then he's grinning again. "That's a relief. I'd have to do something drastic if you do, and I'd do it, but it would really weigh on my conscience."

"I won't risk it." She smiles. She thinks she can tell why exactly Ethan's so close with Samar. Where Ethan has a quieter type of warmth- maybe like a heater or a fireplace, Samar is like a campfire burning high and merry with energy and chatter, and she thinks that's the type of friendship that lasts.

Samar glances at the library clock. "Ethan's class is over. I think I'll go bother him now," he declares. He looks at Bomi. "You coming? It'll involve donuts, probably. Sugary donuts."

Bomi looks at her half-finished essay on the library table. She doesn't think she'll be able to do much with it anyway.

"As long as I have dibs on a chocolate donut, why not," she agrees, and they speed walk out of the library.

She could use a little more spice in her life, after all.

I love Samar so much.

Comments and feedback is always appreciated!