Epilogue.

She lay there on the cold, stone ground, half awake, half asleep. Barely aware of the things going on around her. A cool wind blew, echoing off the cracked, ivy-covered walls. The setting sun casted an eerie glow to the Maze, causing shadows of non-existent monsters to dance along the wall.
Images flashed in her vision. Black and white, blurry, but she recognized them all the same. They were her. Younger, with her family. She was smiling- happy. Then the kids. Their faces solemn, staring blankly at a screen.
The images moved fast. So fast that she barely had any time to process them. It was like her own personal movie, replaying her life in her mind.
People say that before you die, your whole life flashes before your eyes. Perhaps that's what was happening. She was near the end. She was going to die.
She felt an odd sense of peace wash over her, and she relaxed against the cold stone wall. The sun had nearly disappeared from the sky, casting the Maze into an eerie darkness.
Perhaps it was easier this way, if she just died. No more pain. No more suffering. No more voices, visions. Dreams.
No more Glade. No more Newt. She would miss him, her heart twisted in her chest just thinking about it. But she knew he wouldn't ponder on it. He had a new authority in the Glade now- second in command. He would forget about her. He's done it before, he could do it again.
But, the thing was, she didn't want him to forget about her. Perhaps she could find a way, in her afterlife, to see him again. She knew she was being stupid, that there was no way that was possible. It just calmed her, lying to herself.
She wondered what he was doing right now. Was he sad- crying? Or was he going on with his normal business, eating dinner with the other Gladers- already forgetting about her.
She realized that the boy- whoever he was- was right. She did love Newt. She loved him very much. But she never got the chance to tell him that, and she never would.
She didn't have too much time to ponder on the thought, as she slowly felt herself slipping into a peaceful state, darkness.
A long, dreadful screech brought her back to her senses, followed by a series of clicking. Though her eyes remained closed, she knew that the Grievers were awake, roaring to life somewhere deep within the Maze. Another moan echoed off the towering walls, sounding as if it were coming from anywhere and everywhere at once.
She felt an odd surge of energy rush through her, her mind no longer feeling fuzzy, her eyes shooting open as a voice- the boy's voice- whispered in her mind.
"You've got to run, Emily."

+

AND SCENE.
And there you have it, folks. The official ending of Afflicted... *wipes tear*
I hope you all enjoyed the story, and I thank all of you who have read.
It means so much to me that people actually took time out of their lives to read some stupid FanFiction that I stayed up until 3am most nights writing....
BUT I LOVE ALL OF YOU FOR IT!
Seriously, though, thank you.
As you know, I'm writing a sequel to this story :3 It's called "Abused" and it's gonna be up VERY shortly. I am so excited to start writing it, and I hope you guys are planning on reading it!
Once again, thank you, and I'll see you all in our next adventure together :)
Until next time <3

+

Playlist:
(Songs for this book)
-When The Darkness Comes by Shelby Merry
-Flares by The Script
-All I Want by Kodaline
-Nightmare by Arshad
-Look After You by The Fray
-Run by Snow Patrol
-I Love You by Alex and Sierra
-Stranger by Secondhand Serenade
-Come With Me Now by Kongos
All of these songs remind me of Emily and/or her relationship with Newt. They're all really good songs, and you should check them out :)