nineteen

[

[ . . . ]

'YOU'RE TAKING ME TO A CRANE?'

First a hill and now a crane?

'Not any crane, it's a special crane,' Heeseung answered. 'One where you jump off.'

'Jump off? Like━"

Heeseung was quick to cut her off. 'No, not jumping as in killing yourself.'

'Okay━ because I was about to say━' Jiyeon cut herself off with a small chuckle. 'You spoil me, Heeseung, but taking me to my death, that would've been the nicest thing you've ever done to me,' Jiyeon said.

Standing beneath it, she found herself feeling extremely small.

'I hate heights,' he muttered beside her.

'We really don't have a lot in common, do we?' Jiyeon noted.

'And yet you kiss me,' Heeseung teased, lips curling into a smile.

'And yet you won't shut up.'

His hand held a tight grip around hers. She could tell he was nervous. She noticed it from his tight grip and his tense muscles. Why was he scared? He wasn't the one that was going to do the jump.

Jiyeon was.

Being the first one to step into the elevator, Jiyeon pulled Heeseung with her. The doors closed and for a split second, nothing happened. A second passed and the elevator began moving, causing Heeseung to tighten his grip around her hand for a split second.

Of course, she had been a bit frustrated when he informed her about it. Bungee jumping was nothing more than a suicide simulation for Jiyeon. Five seconds of dying and then a rope would pull her back to reality. No, she was not that happy about it, but complied. If it would make Heeseung happy, then so be it.

Exhaling a small sigh, Heeseung pulled her in for a hug. 'Are you nervous?'

'So nervous I might just jump without the rope.'

'You'll die.'

'That's the point.'

He pulled away from the hug to place his hands on each side of her cheeks. Eyes locking with hers, Jiyeon found herself looking into a pair of eyes that held an entire galaxy inside of them.

'Don't say such things.'

Admittedly, she was nervous. But not because she was about to jump, but because of Heeseung.

'It's the truth.'

Heeseung let out a defeated sigh and pulled her in for another hug.

The way his arms would wrap themselves around her, as if he was afraid he'd lose her, brought a warmth to her insides. Was he afraid to lose her? She would not be surprised if he was ━ the boy couldn't hurt a fly.

The elevator came to a stop. Seventy-five metres up into the air. Stepping out of the elevator, the sun greeted her with a smile. Golden hues stretched across the horizon. Air, cold and sweet. It was almost as if something was calling out to her.

Jump.

She wished, but Heeseung's grip around her stopped her. Would she jump without saying goodbye? Never.

They tied a rope around her ankles, one that would stop her from hitting the water.

'Don't be scared,' he mumbled.

'Don't be scared,' she echoed.

A breath tumbled from her lips. Her feet were close to the edge, the only thing stopping her from falling was Heeseung and the worker who held onto the harness around her body.

'It'll be over in a second.'

'I'm not afraid.'

He smiled.

'I know.'

And then he kissed her. Soft lips touching her own.

She kissed him back.

'Don't die on me.'

'I promise.'

She let go of his hand and fell backwards, the rope around her ankles holding a tight grip on her.

The time slowed down, seconds stretching out to minutes.

Five

Solid and secure, she lost all connection to what was once familiar.

Looking down, she saw the vast sea beneath her.

She was falling.

The cold wind lashed against her face as she dived straight down for the water beneath. Nipping and biting, tickling her cheeks with excitement. Exhilarating, everything felt exhilarating ━ as if she was flying.

Letting her body go, accepting that she did not have any control anymore was nothing Jiyeon feared.

It felt liberating.

Four

She was flying.

The feeling of soaring through the air without any care in the world. Wind kissing her cheeks, the cool wind bringing a taste of saltness to her tongue.

Three

The rope snapped in two.

Two

She was dying.

One

Head plunging first into the depths. The water was quick to wrap itself around her, suffocating her. She struggled. Arms flailing and legs kicking. She couldn't fight her own survival instincts ━ despite knowing they were no match for the sea.

Falling beneath the waves, she could make out the faint sunlight above. Each chance to breathe went further and further away. There was no air left in her lungs. Before her eyes fully close, she could've sworn she saw the outline of a boat.

The depths greeted her with open arms. There, she was nothing more than flesh and bones, ready to decay with the strong current.

This was why Jiyeon never promised. She could never keep them. But that didn't matter now.

She regretted jumping.

No trace of happiness inside of her, only regret as her eyes closed; beckoning darkness welcoming her. Her mind wandered to Heeseung for one last time, his smile, his voice, the comfort and warmth he brought to her.

No more. That was no more. That was in the past, and Jiyeon needed to move forward to the heavens.

And so, Jiyeon let go.

Zero

She was free.

[ . . . ]