chapter eight

Let it be known to the world that Eddy was right all along.

Everything started going downhill after dinner.

After putting their dinner plates in the sink, Eddy turns to find Brett with his head in his hands, breathing just a tad bit louder than usual.

"'Sup bro? You dehydrated?" Eddy looks over him, features tightening in concern.

"I dunno, Eddy. I don't feel so good." Brett replies, his voice smaller than usual.

Eddy can clearly see something's wrong. He walks over next to him, putting a hand on his back. Platonic, platonic, platonic.

Heck, why was he even worrying about that now, when there's more pressing matters in front of him? Get a grip, Eddy.

"Do you need medicine? Do you think you need to head to the hospital?"
Brett tries to reply, but it's hard to make out what he's trying to say; his voice was smaller now.

Eddy straightens up. "We're taking you to the hospital." Stay calm, stay calm. "Can you stand?"

He doesn't wait for an answer; he loops one of his arms around his shoulder and supports him all the way to the car.

During the drive, Eddy has one hand on the wheel, the other on Brett's thigh; he's too worried right now to care about the fact that he's in physical contact with Brett Yang. The only thing on his mind is getting Brett to the hospital and finding out what's wrong.

"Stay strong, bro. We're almost there."

"M'kay..."

♡  ♡  ♡

Last week when they were about to film, Brett did lie about still being able to film, despite not feeling well. He didn't think it would escalate into something this bad, though.

And then Eddy, being the person he knew to know him inside out, saw through him immediately and went with him to get help.

The way he ever so gently helped him in and out of the car.

The way he rested his hand on his thigh, the touch alone communicating, it's going to be okay. I'm here and I'm not going anywhere.

Fast forward to when Brett's laying on the hospital bed. Eddy's gripping his hand tightly, his features contorted in tension and worry. The feeling of his hand in his shouldn't be feeling nice, but it does...? Anyway.

Brett looks into Eddy's eyes. "Don't let go of my hand through this. Please."

"Never." Eddy tightens his grip on Brett's hand. "We've been through everything else together. This is no different, bro. I'm here and I'm not going anywhere."

And, well, what does he say to that?

The next couple days is just him getting tested, getting recommended to specialists. And you guessed it, Eddy's by his side through it all.

That's the most important thing of all, isn't it? He's staying by his side through this whole thing. He's staying as the sun to his sunflower.

Where would he be without Eddy Chen?

♡  ♡  ♡

But for now he lays bedridden beneath his blankets for who knows how long. He can't have coffee or bubble tea, and picking up his violin is an excruciating task all of a sudden. And he has to take medication. Ack.

Yesterday, Eddy filmed a short announcement about them taking a break. Every time he thinks about it, his heart sinks under the weight of his guilt, for dragging Eddy down into taking a break, too.