𝟑𝟔| 𝐀𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐀𝐝𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐞 𝐚𝐭 𝐍𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

-𝐇𝐄𝐑-

The next morning I woke up at my usual time and went downstairs to have breakfast. Filth seemed to be in a hurry today as well because the food that he served me was something that could be cooked within half an hour.

Nonetheless, I ate without any complaints because it was still appetizing regardless of its simplicity. Meanwhile, Filth fiddled in the kitchen with the dishes. I liked to think that he often did that just to appear busy.

After finishing breakfast, I went into LEVEL 1 to get the work done. I had several things to do today like measuring some mechanical body parts, cleaning beakers, and arranging things. It was going to be a busy day so without wasting a second I got to work.

While I worked, the conversation that I had with Mr. Night last night kept replaying in my head again and again. I had managed to get some information about him but still, it really wasn't enough. In fact, I was still astronomically far from the bigger picture.

Though from whatever I could make out of those bits and pieces of the information that I got from him last night, it was that he had been building stuff for a while and it was in his family. He certainly was from a filthy rich family otherwise there's no way he could have afforded to have educated himself on such varied fields. Though he didn't inherit anything from them—which was an important point to notice.

What I could assume from this piece of information, it's likely that he got into some kind of rift with his family that could have left him without anything because he did mention that he had to build everything from scratch and he most likely had a brother who inherited everything from the family, leaving him out.

Though there was no way for me to confirm all of this and I doubted that Mr. Night would himself would tell me anything if I go to him, asking more about these things in detail. It was a miracle in the first place that he had allowed me to know so many things.

The only thing that I could do was be hopeful that someday I would find everything out about him, even if it's gradually because if he'd told me this much then I am sure that if I keep digging then I might find out some more... or maybe not.

Mr. Night was unpredictable after all. All I could be was patient and hopeful.

On the other hand, when I asked him about my return, he didn't answer me or maybe he did. It was hard for me to distinguish now because it might have been very well part of my dream when I heard him say never.

While I worked, I waited for him to show up as he usually did to check up on me or to assign me extra work but this morning he didn't. I found it quite odd but at the same time, I was grateful that he didn't come upstairs to assign me more work because I would have struggled to keep up. There was already so much work to get done. I didn't think I could take on more work.

But I still wanted to see Mr. Night. The man I was talking to last night was unlike him. I wondered if it was really him or another side of him.

It was already noon and Mr. Night hadn't shown up to LEVEL 1. I was contemplating several times going down to LEVEL 2 to check on him but then I decided not to do so. Maybe, he was busy doing something important, and my presence there might spoil it.

When I went upstairs to have lunch, I asked Filth about Mr. Night. I always asked if he'd had lunch before me. He always did.

"He's away," Filth informed me this particular afternoon. This explained the situation because no matter how to bust Mr. Night was, he always visited LEVEL 1 to see if I was doing everything right because I was still a novice and erred a lot.

"Where did he go?"

"He has important business to attend," That was all Filth told me and I knew that I wasn't going to get anything beyond that so after having lunch I returned to LEVEL 1 to complete the rest of the work.

The next couple of days were the same. Mr. Night was nowhere to be seen and to be honest, I was starting to miss him. The only thing Filth told me about him was that he was away to attend to important business. That's all.

In the evenings, I would go to his bedroom to use the telescope but I still struggled to find any important celestial body because even though I knew how to use the telescope, I still lacked the knowledge of the position of such bodies in the night sky. I had to purely rely on guesses to find them.

I hoped that Mr. Night would come to help me just like that night but he didn't because he was away. I was getting bored. Poking fun at Filth wasn't enough for me now. I was missing how Mr. Night used to teach me new things every day. It was getting more and more boring as the week passed with no hint of Mr. Night.

One night when I had retired to bed and was waiting for sleep, I heard something at the back of the house. It sounded like the neigh of one of the horses. Since my bedroom window faced the back of the house, especially the stable, I jumped out of my bed and looked out of the window and there he was...

A clap of thunder cracked the sky in half, lighting everything for a moment and that's when I saw him properly. He seemed to have returned from somewhere. I watched as he got off Balius' back and let the horse in the stable. It was raining lightly but Mr. Night didn't seem to care. Though there was something about the way he moved that suggested tension.

I watched him walk through the rain towards the front of the house. I silently exited my bedroom and crept on the stairs so that I could look down at the foyer where he appeared soon and called for Filth.

He took off his top hat to expose his wet, messy hair which was a breathtaking sight. I watched with a racing heart as he ran his fingers through his hair, shaking the water off. Though he soon stopped doing that when Filth appeared.

He said something to Filth before Filth nodded and disappeared somewhere in the house. Meanwhile, Mr. Night headed towards the stairs. Before he could see me, I crept back into my room and kept my ear pressed to the door.

I soon heard footsteps across the corridor.

"Is she sleeping?" Mr. Night's voice asked softly as he opened the door to his bedroom.

"Yes, she had gone to bed an hour ago," Filth answered. I instantly knew what the two of them were up to.

"Are you sure?" Mr. Night asked.

I smiled the same way Lucifer must have smiled before he fell from heaven.

_

Vote. Comment. Share. Follow me

You could read up to chapter 43 on Patreon. The link is in my bio.

Updating schedule — Wednesday, Saturday

Thanks for reading ♥︎