-3°C

MIDNIGHT

| CHAPTER FIVE |

“Midnight, did you take my straightener?” Kanda yelled as she barged into my room while I was doing my assignment. She was wearing a bathrobe, her face covered in a green mask that had a significant resemblance to vomit.

“Why would I take your straightener?” I said, not even looking at her while I spoke. Having Kanda barging into my room and asking me if I had ‘stolen’ something from her was something that happened on a regular basis.

“Well, it couldn’t have just flown away, right?” She whined before exiting my room. “Honestly, Midnight, if you wanted my straightener you could’ve just—” There was a pause and I rolled my eyes. “Never mind, I found it!”

I had been busying myself all day with different things. I woke up from a nightmare at 3 o’ clock and couldn’t seem to fall back asleep so I went up to the rooftop to look at the stars. Around 7, I came down and made breakfast for everyone—guacamole. But once I set the dish out on the table, it was gone before I could blink. It was either liking off the scrapes left on the bowl or making a P&J sandwich, and being a very civil person, I stuck to the latter.

During free-period in school, I did an extra-credit assignment for Mr. Brown, my chemistry teacher. When I came home, I started doing my History assignment, which deadline was about a month away. Then I made a batch of cookies.

No prize guessing who ended up not eating the freshly baked chocolate chips right.

Well, you may be wondering why I have been busying myself with multiple tasks.

Oh, only because, it’s Friday, and Kanda is getting ready for her date.

With Jev.

I didn’t understand why seeing her fawn over him made me so riled up. Kanda has swooned over many boys before, and I have never really cared. There was something about Jev that made me so… so angry and so confused and so…

Complete.

It was crazy. I was crazy. I didn’t want to feel that way about Jev. Kanda obviously had a strong attraction towards him and whatever Kanda wants, Kanda gets. It’s probably one of the universe’s laws.

Thinking about Kanda and Jev just made me feel like punching someone. I just didn’t get it. I have never felt any attraction towards a boy before. Not even Jackie Keller, the boy deemed the cutest in my year. But Jev… a simple glance from him already made me dizzy. His eyes seemed to hypnotize me. His smile made me lose all control.

I didn’t know how I should feel about it. I knew that he would never go for someone like me, and if confess my feelings, it’ll result in nothing but heartbreak. But there was a part of me that kept pushing me towards him.

And the scary bit was… I didn’t know if I liked that or not.

---

“Midnight, can you go and get that please?” Aunt Sally yelled from the kitchen. I heard the water running and guessed she was washing the dishes. Agatha had gone to the library and the boys went out for soccer, and Kanda was upstairs, presumably still adding more mascara to her already long lashes. So that made me the only available person to go and open the door.

“Coming,” I sighed, calling out as I threw the warm fuzzy blanket off me and clicked the ‘pause’ button on the TV remote.

I was in one of my old t-shirts and a pair of sweatpants. My face was makeup free and my hair was matted and up in a messy bun. I didn’t really cared—I was at home, after all.