17°C

MIDNIGHT

| CHAPTER FOURTEEN |

MIDNIGHT

"Hey, someone is looking hot tonight!" Blu exclaimed as I opened the door. "Dang, your dress is absolutely beautiful. Where did you get it?"

"Um," I murmured, shrugging as she very comfortably headed upstairs. I don't know if her tendency to seriously 'make herself at home' was nice or not, but I supposed that it was a good thing. At least she was true to her feelings and did things on instinct. "It was my mom's." I lied.

"Nice. Very nice," She said. "Your ma's got a great taste."

I smiled at that. "Yeah, she does." I looked at her. She was still in t-shirt and jeans. "Where's your dress?"

"Oh, I'm changing into it later. It's a little stuffy." Blu shrugged. "But for now, we're getting you look even hotter."

"What?" I said as she pushed me into my room and sat me down in front of my vanity.

"Girl, where is your makeup?" She exclaimed.

"Well, I only have like foundation and powder and stuff so you don't have to worry about me looking all fancy—" I began but she gave me that mischievous smirk of hers and set two makeup bags in front of me. Oh God.

"It's a great thing I brought these, then." Blu chuckled.

—-

"Wow," Blu whispered as she looked at my reflection. To be honest, I was really wowed myself. She had given me smoky eyes, some shiny lip gloss that tasted real nice, and she had given me a more structured face. My hair was in a beautiful plait and I looked... so beautiful. Like I really was an angel.

"I actually got you something," Blu admitted as she pulled something out of her bag. It was a golden bracelet with a charms dangling from it. One was a pair of silver wings, the other was a crescent moon. The last was a key.

"Wow, this is beautiful, but I really can't take this," I said as I held it. "You should wear it."

"Nah," Blu said before grabbing it and clutching it around my wrist. "This totally completes your look. Plus, I think it really suits you. The silver wings define your purity and your ability to fly, if you just let go. The crescent moon means your past, seeing you have the birthmark of a full moon. The key is something to unlock your future with; your destiny. I want you to have it. It'll make me real happy."

I looked at it and it looked very beautiful around my wrist, and Blu was right. It completed my look.

"Thank you so much, Blu."

"Your welcome, sweetheart. It's the least I can do for you," Blu smiled.

"Thank you again," I whispered as I looked at her. Her genuine smile and her beautiful eyes that shined with love and care. "For everything. For being here, and being my friend, and just being a rock to me. I... I haven't had a girlfriend like you before. It's... great."

"Well, I feel honoured," Blu smiled and giggled. "To have you as a sister."

As she hugged me, I felt complete. Like I have been away and lost for a long, long time, and finally, I've found my home. Right here, with a best friend, and a date awaiting to pick me up for the dance.

——

JEV

I knocked on the door, twice, before Anastasia opened the wooden doors. "Jev?" She said, mid-yawn. "What are you doing here? It's a Saturday. You're all dressed up." She noted.

I looked down at my suit. It was a hand-me-down from my father. "It's not just Saturday," I pushed my way inside and sat on her bed. "It's prom."

Anastasia started laughing. "Oh dear, those childish things. Is someone going to be spiking the punch? Or, better, is a majestic girl in a striking dress going to be gliding down the stairs, with an intricately designed mask on?" She shook her head. "I cannot believe you out of everyone is going. You don't exactly have a good history with dances."

I clenched my jaw. "Well this dance will help me with my plan, thank you very much, and I need you there."

She cocked her eyebrow. "Me? Um, no thanks."

I rolled my eyes. "I need back-up. You have to go."

"Backup?" Anastasia said. "Your 'wing-man'?"

"Oh, come on, Anastasia!" I said, exasperated. "You know what, never mind. I'll look for someone else." As I turned to leave, Ana grabbed onto my wrist and sighed.

"Alright, I'll do it. Now, what else did you need?" She asked. I looked down at my shoes before sitting down beside her.

"You know how I can't tie a tie."

An amused smile went onto Anastasia's lips. "Yeah, what about it?"

I sighed and rolled my eyes, a little embarrassed. "Will you help me?"

She guffawed before simmering down and grabbing the tie tossed around my neck and started doing her job. I looked everywhere but her eyes, but I could tell her sea blue eyes were gazing at me.

"Just like old times, hmm? Crazy missions where I acted as your wife. Us taking down people together. Sharing a drink of celebration in the night as we watched the stars and the moon. We used to shine together as bright as they did."

"It was the past. Before anything and everything," I said softly. "It was the past, Ana."

"I know," Her voice was soft and pained. "How I wish I could go back." She smoothened the tie and dropped it. "How I wish you were still the same Jev I loved."

"Ana..." I whispered before she stood up, her back facing me. I could tell she was shaking, even though she was trying not to.

"So, what is this backup thing?" She said, her voice ice cold and devoid of emotion. It hurt me to know that I've hurt her again. But I couldn't do anything to help. I'd only make it worse.

"We're going to the prom, and you're going to the ladies'. I've realized that when Midnight panics, she heads there. So if she does, watch her and contact me."

"What next?" She asked.

"We're kidnapping her."

I KNOW IT'S SUPER SHORT BUT I'M SORRY I JUST HAVE TO GET THIS OUT AND YES I'M ALIVE I'VE JUST BEEN BUSY AND ALL I'M SORRY I'M JUST A BAD PERSON AHHH

Love,

kky_claud