Chapter 4

“Well I hope you’re happy,” Usagi said to Luna with a shaky voice as she entered her bedroom and closed the door behind them. Pressing her back against the door, her lip began to quiver uncontrollably and her eyes glistened with tears that would begin to fall at any moment.

Luna was anything but happy as she watched the girl try to keep her emotions in check. The cat had no idea what an important night this had been for her; only when dinner had started and Kenji began grilling Usagi’s poor boyfriend did she realize this was the first time he’d been to their house. Luna didn’t know a lot about such human customs, but she could sympathize with how nerve-wracking it must have been for the couple-- and that was without having the added stress of a quick transformation into a Sailor Soldier beforehand with little explanation for anything.

A soft whimper filled the room and Usagi began sliding down the door after Luna’s extended silence. The cat felt even worse and jumped from the bed as Usagi hugged her legs to her chest and buried her face in her knees, finally giving into the sobs that’d been brewing just below the surface.

“Usagi,” Luna said gently, though she wasn’t sure if the girl could hear her above her wailing. The violent shake of her shoulders as she cried looked like she might break herself apart if she rattled much more. “Usagi, I’m so sorry. I didn’t know. I shouldn’t have forced you to transform before your boyfriend came over. Mamoru, is it?” She paused, hoping for Usagi to answer her, but she only continued to cry. With a sigh, Luna considered what else she could say and hopefully calm the blonde. “He’s cute, your boyfriend. Very handsome.”

At that, the sobs slowly subsided. A sniffle. “I know. He’s the best.” Sniffle.

One side of Luna’s mouth quirked up into a half-smile. “Everything will be okay. Just tell him a-- friend--,” no one needed to know that friend was a cat, “told you some news before he came over and you were nervous about it. I’m sure he’ll understand. He seems nice.”

Usagi nodded, sitting up a bit to wipe the tears from her eyes. Another sniffle. “Luna, please… I need you to tell me more about what this all is so I can explain it to him.”

Luna froze, unsure how to respond to that. “I wouldn’t advise you tell him anything about Sailor Moon, Usagi. Not now.” Not ever, but they would cross that bridge later.

“But why?”

The confused, mystified look in Usagi’s puffy eyes gave her pause. “...Because you can’t trust anyone with knowing that identity. Anyone could be the enemy, Usagi.” She saw Usagi open her mouth to protest, but quickly continued, “I’m sure Mamoru is not the enemy, but telling loved ones you know are safe isn’t a good idea, either. They might not be a threat, but if the Dark Kingdom finds out who Sailor Moon is close to, they may torture the information out of those people. The less Mamoru, your parents, everyone knows, the better.”

Usagi gave a small nod and Luna was relieved that her reasoning seemed to click with her. “Just… what type of people are in this... Dark Kingdom?” she asked with trepidation.

Luna realized that she was doing nothing to ease this innocent girl into her new destiny. She needed to make this sound more fun, less dangerous… ease this girl into the role as her powers awakened.

“Bad people, but nothing you can’t handle. Why don’t you transform and I’ll show you what you can do?”

_________________________________

“So I just take the tiara off and throw it?” Sailor Moon asked with more than a hint of skepticism.