its only been a month

"Baby you goin be good!" Samari raised his voice silently, holding my now shivering hands as sirens blared in the distance.

"Babe- What did you do!" I yelled as he nervously looked around, grabbing his face with my now freezing cold hands. "Samari, please" I begged as cop car's surrounded our gated community home.

"Syl-" Samari attempted to say before I felt his hands get ripped from mine. As I watched 3 Police officers hold him to the ground, As peoples bedroom lights turned on. Cameras flashed. My husband, bestfriend, and anything more was getting ripped away from me.

"SAMARI!" I yelled as he was thrown in the dirtied police car. Putting my glass hand on the window, his hands reconnecting with mine.

"I love you..."

                                𝐒𝐘𝐋𝐀 𝐃𝐀𝐕𝐈𝐒

                        𝐒𝐘𝐋𝐀 𝐃𝐀𝐕𝐈𝐒

"This is a prepaid call from Atlanta Transitional  Center from inmate Samari Davis. All calls are subjected to recording and monitoring, to decline this call press  1 immediately, to accept this call press 6."

"Hey baby!" Syla yelled, whisking the egg mix for the chicken she proceed to make.

"Daddy?" Her ten month old daughter Lauren questioned. Nodding her head, Lauren slowly but determinedly walked towards her, Grabbing the phone out out her hand.

"Wassup my baby!" Samari yelled through the phone. Lauren giggled, proceeding to speak literal gibberish through the phone. "Okay baby..put mommy back on the phone" Mari said. As she nodded handing me syla the phone.

Lifting herself onto the counter, breathing into the phone. They did this every time they talked on the phone. Yet the silence wasn't awkward... The excitement of speaking to Samari alone stressed her out. And she figured this wasn't a healthy way to live with.

"Ima be out soon baby. I been speaking to my parole officer an-"

"I know, But-" She simply mumbled her words out. "No. We ain't doing this today Syla" Mari said.

"Doing what? It's reality Samari, face it!" She Adjusted her body on the counter, As she heard a few breaths over the phone, the line went dead.

"Mommy! Mommy!" Lauren yelled from across the living room, As She walked towards the living room She could smell a minty, yet burnt smell coming from the living room. As Lauren stood up, reveling toothpaste on the carpet. As a lighter laid next to it.

"Lauren! Oh my Fucking-" Syla yelled as She ran towards the carpet, grabbing the lighter and staring at the now burnt blue and green carpet. "God dammit! Lauren get out my face right now" She said putting my hand up.

Hearing a screaming Lauren a few seconds later, as she walked towards her room.

"It's only been a month..."

- @ohthatsimonee