[twenty-two] abernathy's memory

It never seemed to get cold enough for comfort. The sun wouldn't come out, but snow wouldn't fall. The clouds would never clear, but it would never rain. It was always gray and gloomy, just the way she hated it.

She scratched Bucky's head with a small smile, the dog closed its eyes hesitantly, knowing she'd sneak away the moment they'd. And as predicted, she tiptoed to the door and closed it so quietly a mouse would've been stunned. Bucky, unimpressed, turned himself on his back and yawned. The blanket twisting as he did so, making somewhat of a rhythm with Pepsi running in her hamster wheel.

Theresa Abernathy walked in the poorly dimmed hallway, bruised knees shaking as it was the only cold area in the house. She forked her hands in her pockets, pursed her lips, and stopped once she heard unfamiliar voice coming from inside the kitchen. Her mothers shadow piqued interested, doubled over the oven. She fetched something delicious, something she'd never had before. Her mouth salivated.

"I'm sure you remember Paul, Dede," her father called from his place on the couch. "He's a good friend of mine from Vermont. I found him outside the farmers market, me was dropping off some of our product and he'd chosen our mandarines. Good selection he's got, but I don't understand why he's so far out picking groceries."

"Well I think it's really nice he's helping out his w-

"Oh, don't nobody care what you think Dede. Finish those cookies, Paul must be starving. And hungry company ain't good for any of us."

Dede listened, her shadow moving frantically in the hallway like a ghost. Stretching to meet the back wall, Theresa felt her distress.

She could only frown.

She peered into the living room, the back of the man's head came into view. His hair slicked back, his hair reflected the grayness of the clouds. "Tobias, rudeness isn't good for company. Your wife is doing amazingly. I hope your daughters have taken her influence."

"Odette's gone off," Tobias Abernathy laughed without humor, "She met a city boy and thought her family's approval wasn't of importance anymore. She's been gone a year or two, has a kid actually. Spring's taking care of the farm, it's not a woman's job but she's always had a particular adoration for the animals. She doesn't look like she's getting married any time soon."

Theresa stifled.

"Ilse, exactly like her mother I'd say. Our only problem right now is Theresa."

She glared at the back of the bald man's head.

Paul raised an eyebrow, "You've never mentioned her before. Is she of Deidre's?"

"Surely, they all are. I'm just not sure she's mine, if you know what I mean. She hasn't got a light out there in the world for her. I'm sure she'll never get out of here, and if she does it's for the best."

Paul turned, thinking he had heard a noise from the hallway. Tobias craned his neck in the general direction, Theresa held her breath. The two men sighed. "Well, sometimes all we need is direction."

"Left or right? She walks new roads. I haven't got a clue what to do with her."

"Get her to marry."

"She's fourteen. And she still hasn't flourished into a decent-looking woman. She wouldn't be a respectable wife, let alone a good one."

"Can she cook?"

"Well, of course."

"Can she make her keep? Help you around the farm?"

Tobias nodded.