Chapter 6 - Possibility

A/N WOW! Hi everyone! It's been a h o t minute! Over a year in fact. Apologies, though, I must say, my writing has much improved since I last updated this book and I will be proofreading the rest of this book!! I think last year school may have hit me like a truck and I stopped updating, but here I am! Here's the new chapter :D

------------------------------------------------------------

"If you had feigned innocence and foolishness you both perhaps could have avoided my suspicion," The Emperor states confidently. 

"That's..." I start, trailing off. I glance over at Aristia who takes a step forward.

"I could not back down for my own safety when I knew the people of the empire were at risk." Aristia frowns after she says it, she's feigning confidence and I can tell. The Emperor considers her. 

This is really bad. We could be banished, the house of Monique could be banished! I mean come on, if someone who could take the throne from right under you suddenly appeared would you not be on guard? Especially if the people in question are two children!

The Emperor chuckles.

"My, my, it seems I've frightened the young lady too much!" The Emperor guffaws. After he's done laughing, he clears his throat.

"Do not worry, I do not see you as a threat to the Prince." He states, traces of his laugh in his voice. My eyes widen at his words and I look over at Tia. 

"This throne is not something that can be taken with something as simple as a name, I did not raise my child to be such a fragile person," The Emperor leans his head on his hand. 

"Your Majesty..! Why did you hold such a grave mood if you weren't going to do anything?!" Duke Arkint complains.  Father looks stressed all of a sudden. 

"Children, neither of you are fit to be a ruler. Had I been in your positions I would have feigned innocence at this moment, and then proceeded to send word about the drought through more illusive means," Dude- We are literal children. You're not gonna get that kind of subtlety. I don't care if we're adults in children's bodies, he doesn't know that!

"Your hearts are too soft and kind for a ruler," He continues. 

No... I'm not kind. I have been more unkind than I could possibly articulate in words. It's terrible, I know, to not accept something like that from the Emperor. But until I'm able to apologize to Allendis, I don't think I could consider myself kind. 

"An Emperor must take care of one's self in order to lead the Empire, and so someone who willingly accepts danger is not fit to be a ruler. However-" He pauses. 

"Your kind heart and brilliance that thinks of the people of this Empire are perfect for an Empress and a Commander, and that makes me very sad this moment," The Emperor stops. 

"Why do you say so your Majesty?" Duke Ruth asks. 

"You all know very well why." The Emperor sighs. 

That stupid prince. Ruveliss Kamaludin Shana Castina, he's such a dick. 

"That child... He grew up as the one and only heir to my throne, and because of that, he has to be the center of attention at all times," 

"You two are brilliant children given names by god, if you were to be praised..." His majesty pauses for a moment just enough for Tia to mutter something inaudible. 

"I wonder how that arrogant child will respond." His Majesty lets his words ring out in the room, and we hear a bit of commotion outside before it stops. 

"I beg your pardon your Majesty..." Tia pipes up. 

"Go ahead, tell me what you think," The Emperor replies. 

"I do not... Wish to be involved with the prince in any way or matter," She says. 

Oh- Oh my gosh- She did not just- Is this what she meant by DEFY HER FATE???? She could be executed! Dad could get blood oathed?? 

"You... You do not wish to be involved? Why is that?" His Majesty says, looking confused. I am also, confused? Tia what the hell, I mean I get it, but execution is NOT the way to go!

"You cannot send a girl with the right to inherit the throne to marry in another country or to another family, and you fear announcing me as Empress, so I believe you are planning to welcome me as a future queen?" Tia says, she doesn't even stutter once. But then where does that put me? They can't do ANYTHING about me. There are no princesses, I can marry another family, there isn't another prince, this is a bit bad for them I think. But as Tia is already in a future royal position, it may be a tad bit worse for her? Maybe I'm thinking about it too much. 

But, how could they just do that to Tia? She's been training her whole life, which at this point, is a decade, to be Empress. If they just sideline her like this, history will repeat itself. 

"But, you are the foretold partner in the oracle, are you not?" The emperor asks. 

"Well, with all due respect your Majesty, we cannot truly be certain if that is true," I say. Tia nods.

"The oracle mentions the "birth of a girl", however, we do not know whether that birth means being born at that time, or if the girl is still in the mother's womb at the time," Tia explains. 

That's because Tia isn't the foretold partner, it's Jieun, and Tia was born a year after the oracle, while Jieun was a year older than her. But would anyone believe us if we said that now?

"Please, give me some time your Majesty, we will find another solution," Tia says with a curtsy. The Emperor's face rises into shock. 

"If the matter is not urgent at the moment, it is better to step back and assess the situation in order to strive for the betterment of both parties. You've taught me this just a few moments ago Your Majesty" She states, confidently, this time. Without falter. 

"And regardless of what you choose... I will remain the future wife of the Prince for a while," She says. She... Is so much smarter than me. 

"Hm... So you've even predicted that?" The Emperor raises an eyebrow. 

"Good, the prince will have his coming of age ceremony in a few years, I will wait until then," He says. 

"As for the young Lord La Monique," I perk up. 

"Yes your Majesty?" I ask. 

"You are unable to marry my child, that much is true, unless you wished to be a consort, but someone of your status is much more needed as the head of House Monique. I am granting you the ability to marry who you please, but they must take the Monique name." The Emperor says. 

"Thank you, your Majesty," I say with a bow. However, I have ABSOLUTELY no plans to be head of the house? I was trying to AVOID it last time, give it to a child or something, but not me! I suck! I'm terrible at sword fighting after the basics! AND I'm a terrible shot. I'm only good at horse riding.

-----------------------------------------

We walk out of the castle and Aristia walks off to somewhere while Dad continues taking care of some stuff inside. I walk around until I find the library. Oh, I used to come here when I would meet up with Allen in secret. I would come on "Official knight business", and then we'd sneak behind the bookshelves and talk, or I'd take him to the garden or to the training yard. 

The bookshelves were the best. 

Sometimes we would sit in an aisle and pick up the old texts and show each other words in them to make sentences. Allen would give me the sweetest love poems, and I'd just tell him how much I love him in quantities. 

Secret romances are terrible.

"Oh-! Sorry," Someone stumbles into me carrying a pile of books, he drops them all on the floor. 

"It's fine, here," I crouch down and start picking up books. When I look up I'm face to face with Allendis.