Friday, April 8

"Happy Birthday to youuuuu," was the first thing Remus heard when he woke up.

"It's my birthday?" He heard himself mutter. "Wait, no it isn't! Whoever's there, keep up. My birthday was a month ago."

"Even half-asleep, you're a sassy little shit," someone said in a dreamy way. Who was that dramatic?

Sirius. Okay, it was definitely Sirius.

"What do you want, Pads?" He asked, sitting up and rubbing the sleep from his eyes. He ran his fingers through his knotted hair instinctively, trying to feel more presentable.

Sirius was standing in the doorway, leaning against the frame like some sort of model (skinny jeans, leather jacket, hair in an artsy bun, and all) (It probably had no connection to how quick his heartbeat had become) (He would never tell Sirius how attractive he looked at that moment). He was carrying a package of some sort- Remus couldn't tell what.

"I made you a birthday present!" Sirius said delightedly, a very puppyish grin filling his face.

Remus picked himself up, smiling stupidly at his sweet boyfriend. He attempted to walk over, but his limbs were heavy from sleep. He managed to make it most of the way, but tripped and stumbled into Sirius as he reached him.

"Falling for me already, Sleeping Beauty?" Sirius teased.

"I'm not falling, I'm swooning," he corrected.

"If you say so," Padfoot chuckled. "We should probably talk outside, so that we don't wake your roomies."

"My roomies?" Remus asked, raising his eyebrows.

"Y'know, your roommates. Duh."

"I know that, it just doesn't seem like the kind of slang Sirius 'punk rock' Black would use."

"Don't mock me, or you won't get any presents," Sirius said, closing the door and holding the present away from Remus in the hallway.

"Don't give yourself illusions," Remus teased. "You're too short to play keep-away with someone a foot taller."

"You are not a foot taller than me!" Sirius exclaimed indignantly. "Like, eight inches, maybe."

"You're adorable," Remus said condescendingly, patting his boyfriend's head. He stepped into Sirius's personal space and pulled the present easily out of his outstretched hand.

Sirius pouted, and Remus, enjoying himself, pressed a soft kiss onto his forehead.

"Can I open it?" He asked.

"Go ahead," Sirius replied, now looking excited.

Remus pulled the wrapping paper off carefully, only tearing along the taped lines. It was patterned with moons, which he found very fitting. He suddenly realized he didn't hate the moon anymore, thanks to Padfoot. He smiled at his boyfriend, who had already been watching his expression eagerly.

"What?" Sirius asked. "You didn't even open it yet."

"Nothing," he said, still smiling sappily. It was one of those instances where 'nothing' meant everything.

"Open it!" Sirius practically shouted. "The suspense is killing me, and I already know what it is!"

Remus chuckled, tearing the rest of the paper off in one sweep to reveal a piece of lumpily knitted cloth. He held it up. It was a turtleneck sweater, indigo blue and patterned with stars. Some of the stitches were too thin, some too wide, and many were lumpy; but it was soft and clearly made with care.

"Did you..." He began, turning to Sirius in amazement.

"I, uh, made it. I know it's kind of a mess, but Effie had been wanting to teach me to knit for a while, so I thought I should finally take her up on the offer."