5

The next day was a bright one. The sun shone its dazzling rays upon every crook and crevice of the town, and the children played about with joy. Yellow took off for a stroll again as it was his day. He wouldn't be disappointed that day if Blue didn't show up. It wasn't her day, after all. Normally, he would consider it a positive thing, but he suddenly felt low-spirited thinking about it.

Unusually less cheerful, he reached a Park from where the shouting of children was resonating in the surroundings. He was watching the flurry of movement of running kids in the park when his eyes caught something.

A shadowy silhouette.

He was suddenly reminded of the first day he met Blue. The first glimpse he had gotten of her was also a shadowy silhouette. He looked at the figure again. Oh, no. He was mistaken. Was it a coincidence that the person wore a black hoodie? Definitely not.

Blue was standing a distance away from the park, watching the kids play. A short area around her was darker than the park and the bright sky, even when she wasn't standing in a shade. It made her shadows look more prominent.

Yellow immediately knew it was Blue. It had to be. Because he was finally going to talk to her.

He walked up to her, but stopped at a safe distance, afraid that she might walk away yet again. Her face gave no expressions; she just stood staring at the joyful kids with her hands in the pockets of her hoodie. Yellow faced the kids too, to distract himself from staring at her and focused on his pounding heart.

He quickly glanced at her and asked, "Why don't you go to them?"

Without glancing at him, Blue immediately replied, "I can't go near them. I don't want to steal their happiness, too."

Although Yellow didn't understand how she could steal happiness, he thought he needed to do something for her.

"You won't take away their happiness. But I'm sure they could give you some of theirs."

Blue tore her gaze from the children and looked at Yellow only to see that he was looking at her too, expecting an answer. Blue's hair blew in the soft breeze, and she kept staring at him. In the beat of the moment, there was nothing as beautiful in the whole world as his brown orbs.

Yellow took a step closer and extended a hand towards her. "Give it a try," he said.

Blue stared at the hand too, afraid that if she took it, she might plunge him into a world of darkness, too. She didn't want that for anyone. Not for the kids. Not for Yellow. Not for herself.

She found herself fighting off to break all the barriers she had created for herself and placed her hand gently but hesitantly in his. She felt the atmosphere shift and all the darkness around her disappeared under her feet. She was surrounded by light, at last.

She couldn't believe what she was seeing. It wasn't possible. The shadows... they just disappeared.

She stared at Yellow in pure shock, but he smiled just a bit, and they started walking towards the playful children, hand in hand.

– the end –