Chapter 4: The Switch

As Sepia hurried towards the kitchen to grab the tablecloth and wash it before lunch, someone came around the corner. It was Sonoran, Vulture's son.

"Aye! Stop right there!" he cried out.

Sepia screeched to a stop. "Yes, sir?" she asked with mock politeness in her voice.

Sonoran paid no notice. "What are you doing here? You look familiar..."

"Yes, sir, I'm part of the show. I'm off to get the tablecloth to wash."

Sonoran was drunk. He loved spiked cactus juice. The only reason Vulture didn't throw him out was because he was big. Like, REALLY big. He was really strong and bulky and didn't care who he hurt.

"Ah, okay. Do you know what's for lunch?"

"Um, I don't, but you could go ask Kelp."

"Kelp?" Sonoran wondered.

"The Seawing without the fancy glowing scales," she replied.

"Oh alright. Thank you....?"

"Sepia," she replied for probably the 30th time she had "met" Sonoran.

"Yes, Sepia," Sonoran agreed. "Sepia... sounds familiar...." Sonoran remarked as he strolled away.

Phew, Sepia thought as she continued toward the kitchen.

She went into the dining room and picked up the tablecloth, napkins, pouches, and tapestries. She said hi to Kelp through the kitchen doorway when she was done.

"Did Sonoran find you?" she asked. She had heard voices in the kitchen while she was collecting the laundry, but couldn't tell who they were.

"Yep," Kelp replied, deep in concentration.

"Whatcha making?"

"A cacti juice vinaigrette over a javelina steak."

"Ooh, sounds better than the measly rabbit that we get."

"Want to try some? It's really good, don't tell." he whispered.

"Yes please!"

After her lovely taste test, she took the laundry out into the hallway. She had just closed the door when a voice behind her spoke softly.

"My, my Sepia. What do you think you're doing?"

Vulture stepped out of the shadows, Cloud in his claws, struggling to break free.

"Oh, you're in big trouble." he smiled.