Prologue

"My heart aches. My eyes droop. And if this is love, do I truly yearn for it?"

"For heaven's sake, Thorne, take your wallowing elsewhere! Or better, bury it." The Captain snapped as he was completing his fourth lap of the grounds that morning. He, like so many of the other ghosts that lived at Button House, had grown irrefutably bored since Allison and Mike's departure just over six months ago.

"How dare you, sir! If I had a glove, I would-"
"Oh, take your empty threats elsewhere, Thorne. I've quite frankly grown tiresome of your voice."

If it had not been for the arrival of fellow housemate and resident argument-diffuser, Pat Butcher, the two surely would have started physically fighting-as physical a ghost fight could be, anyway.

"Alright, Cap, I know you're bored, but there's really no need to take it out on the rest of us!" Pat said with a nervous laugh. The Captain rolled his eyes, as did Thomas; both had been particularly eager to release pent up steam at one another that spring morning.

"Me bored too!"

Pat, Thomas and The Captain turned around to see Robin and the rest of the ghosts of Button House standing in the doorway; each sharing the same expression of inexplicable boredom.

"Thomas is right; it hasn't been the same since Allison left." Julian said with a sigh. He hated to agree with Thomas; the two clashed more often than not. Pat adjusted his glasses before speaking.
"Well, its's something we'll have to get used to, I'm afraid. I mean, it's not like she's coming back." The others nodded their heads solemnly.
"Speak no more, for I can not bear it!" Thomas wailed before running out. This earned an eye roll from both The Captain and Julian.
Pat turned to the rest of The Ghosts.
"Well, how about we start a new club?"
This resulted in an array of verbal reactions from the Ghosts; some excited, others disappointed.
"Ooh, a new club; how exciting!" Kitty squealed, clasping her hands together excitedly.
"Hows abouts a...a worms clubs?" Mary suggested, shyly tugging at her skirt and swaying a little.
"That's a nice idea, Mary, but how could we change it each week to keep it interesting?" Pat replied.
"Booze club would go down a lot better, I'd say!" Julian blurted, smirking to himself.
"But we can't drink, Julian?" Pat laughed awkwardly.
"Alright, don't have to rub it in." Julian snapped.
"Bum club!" Robin yelled.
"Good lord."
"I was thinking more along the lines of maybe-"
"What happened to film club? I quite enjoyed that one, actually." Humphrey, or more so, Humphrey's head, spoke up from the side of the sofa, where he had been left.
"Nah, no good now we don't have anyone to actually put the films on." Julian retorted, adjusting his tie.
"Maybe a-"
"A smile club!"
"You'll be getting no smiles out of me."
"Come now, Fanny-"

"Guys!"

Everyone stopped arguing among themselves and returned their attention to the Scout Leader. Pat, as we stated previously, was the tension-diffuser of the group, so when he grew agitated, the Ghosts knew better than to provoke him further.
"How about we just introduce a club that we can all enjoy-"
"Car!" Robin exclaimed excitedly.
"Ooh, car's not a bad one, actually-"
"No, car!"

The Ghosts turned to where Robin was stood at the window, and ran over to him. The Caveman was right; a car was arriving at Button House.