Chapter 7

The Captain had not felt nervous like this in a long time. Not since the war, at least.

He marched purposefully down the hallway leading to the stairs, going over and over in his head what he would say to Emily.

"Ah, Emily. Glad I could finally find you. Seems you have the knack for insurgency. Have you ever considered enlisting-?"

No. No, that was too forward.

"Emily! Alas, we meet. Last time I saw you was when I saw you asleep. Not that I was watching you sleep. Well, I was, technically. But that's not the point-"

The Captain froze. He was at the door that led to the main function room in which most of the ghosts resided in. Taking a deep breath in, he allowed himself to pass through the door.

Emily was sat with her back to the door when The Captain had crept in; a bag of frozen peas held firmly to her head.

The Captain cleared his throat, causing the girl to gasp. She spun around to face him, and dropped the peas in surprise.

"It's Emily, isn't it?"

"You're not real." Emily assured. Her lips had turned uncomfortably dry.

"Now, Emily, listen here-"

"Stop. Stop talking! You're not real!" Emily stepped back hastily, nearly tripping over the coffee table as she retreated.

"Please, don't panic, you're not going crazy! Just-Just listen, Emily, calm down before you hurt yourself!" The Captain was pleading at this point; pleading for the girl to come to her senses and listen. He walked slowly towards her as she stepped back, until eventually, she bumped into the wall. He raised his hands submissively, and spoke softly, "I'm not going to hurt you."

"Stay the hell away from me!" Emily spat, breathing heavily.

"Alright, I won't come any closer. But, please, just listen to what I have to say." He stated. "We are real. You're not going crazy. You hit your head before, yes?"

She nodded.

"The same thing happened to a woman who lived here not so long ago. She fell and hit her head. After that, she could see us." Cap explained. He was glad to see that Emily's breathing was slowing.

"Why?"

"We're ghosts, Emily. I know that may be difficult for you to hear, but we are. I can only imagine that anyone who suffers a near death experience of sorts has the capability of seeing us."

Emily ran a hand through her hair. She was still in disbelief. But, she could hear him. She could see him. And what he was saying made sense.

"Now, we could stand here all night and argue the science of all this, or we could sit down and talk. Maybe introduce you to the others?" The Captain stepped forward, smiling reassuringly at her. "They won't bite, I promise." He added, noting her anxious expression.

Emily smiled.

"Okay."

Sorry it's such a short chapter!
More to come soon!
Enjoy x