Chapter 5

Julian strained furiously. It was always unfair whenever something or someone else was being stubborn with him, and not the other way around. The leather cover of the diary hardly fluttered as the politician swore profusely in frustration. Pat and the Captain cheered him on with great enthusiasm, but even they side-eyed the almost stationary diary.

Alas, Julian Fawcett let out an exasperated sigh, and collapsed onto the sofa. After twenty seven years in death, he had finally met his match. The Captain might have even celebrated this had it not been the circumstances. His enemy's loss was also that of his!

"You can't just give up, Julian! Where's your resilience?!" Pat scolded encouragingly.
"Lost it in '78 when I had my first fours-"
"What're you doing?"
Thankfully, Kitty's interruption of Julian's recall of his rather eccentric hobbies enabled the ghosts to unite once more. Captain, Pat and Julian each exchanged anxious looks; each of them murmuring and mumbling some idle excuse they thought of only seconds before.

"Alright, fine!" Pat yelled. Everyone turned to him, bar Cap and Julian, who each stared miserably at the floor. "We were trying to read Emily's diary." The room held a steady silence, no ghost more eager than the next to voice their disgust first.

"Why?!" Thomas was the first to react. His face was screwed as though he had tasted something unpleasant.
"Come now, Thorne! It isn't what it sounds." The Captain said, flustered.
"Grave misfortune to those who speak of the burdens brought by the heart's secrets!" The poet thundered.
"Quit your rambling, would you?" Fanny scolded. Even she had grown tiresome of the ghosts' constant bickering. Although, it didn't take much these days to upset her. The ghosts each turned their attention to her. "If they are attempting to read young Emily's diary like they said, then might I make a proposition?"
"Go on then, Fanny." The Captain beckoned. He had grown so desperate that he was willing to take the advice from the only other ghost beside Julian who had the most stubborn personality.
"Resort to Patrick's idea."

The Ghosts ruptured into wild debate yet again. It was only when they heard a rather stupendous thud sound, followed by a self-pitying whine, that they stopped; focusing their attention to where they heard the noise from.

Robin was the first to make a dash for the stairs, shortly pursued by the Captain, Julian and Pat.

When the ghosts all reached the kitchen, where they heard the noise, they stood, frozen, in the doorway.

Christmas had apparently come early to Button House. Emily Wick sat on the stone kitchen floor, coated from head to toe in a layer of flour. She sneezed, before looking up.

"Are you guys here for the Button House history tour event later on?" She asked, standing up to dust off the flour from her legs.

Sorry this chapter is so short and took a while to publish, but hopefully now the ball is rolling! The writer's block has vanished and I will be working for a much longer chapter in weeks to come.
Enjoy!