fifty five.

CHAPTER FIFTY FIVE
born to love u

Jamal

As soon as Hakeem finished performing, Jamal rushed backstage because he was performing next. He could still hear the audience going crazy for Hakeem, and it was well deserved. His performances always made the audience hype, and Jamal's always made the audience sad. That was why he hated going after him.

But that was just how it was. Hakeem was an entertainer, so it was best if he went first. He made the audience stay invested for the whole show.

Jamal knew Hakeem was pointing at him and shit, but he wasn't fazed. He wasn't beefing with him tonight. He was focusing on himself and that was it.

Hakeem came walking backstage with Tiana. He smirked at Jamal. "You sure you wanna perform after that?"

"I always go after you. You know that."

"Yeah you do. It must suck being second best."

Tiana hit him. "Be nice, babe. Don't listen to him, Jamal. You're gonna kill it."

"Thank you, Tiana."

"Yeah, whatever. Good luck. I actually said it unlike you," Hakeem hissed.

"You don't need me to say good luck to you, Hakeem. Your performances never flop."

"At least you know it." Then Hakeem and Tiana left, and Jamal rolled his eyes and focused on the stage. He saw the curtains were closed, and Hakeem's props were being taken off stage and Jamal's were being put on.

That was his cue to get into position, so he walked on stage and sat at the small piano. He heard Warren say, "Alright, are y'all ready to get in your feelings again?"

"Yeah!"

"Alright, give it up for Jamal Lyon!"

The audience cheered as the curtains opened. The stage lights shined on Jamal as he started playing the piano. He heard Cookie say, "Yes! That's my baby!"

Jamal chuckled and started singing.

JAMAL :

Here we go again, here we go again,
Fire and emotion
All up in your face, 'bout to walk away
Both our hearts are broken
But the moment you're gone, all my colors fade
The bullets and bombs start to ricochet, oh
I'm defenseless, you need me blown away

Jamal looked at the audience while singing, his eyes trying to find Mateo. He couldn't see him anywhere. Did he not show up?

Jamal got up from the piano while holding the mic in his hand, and the audience went wild because they weren't expecting him to leave the piano. Jamal did some slight dancing, and then stood still while singing the next verse. Just as he was about to give up hope, he spotted Mateo in the audience smiling at him. Jamal smiled too, and sang while looking directly at him.

The song was about him anyway.

JAMAL :

I don't wanna fight, not another time
I just wanna feel you
You ain't gotta try, you ain't gotta change
I just want the real you

The stage lights revealed the guitarists sitting down behind Jamal. He kept singing while looking at Mateo. He did some slight dancing again, and some dancers came on stage with him too. Then the music mellowed out, and Jamal sang powerfully with his eyes closed while sitting in between the guitarists.

JAMAL :

Born to love,
Born to live,
Born to die if I lose your kiss
Born to hold, won't let go
Born to love you, so you'll always know
You'll always know
Born to love you

After those long high notes, he stood up with a guitarist on each side of himself. They took one step forward at a time while Jamal sang to the audience. Then the guitarists backed up while the dancers came back to dance with him one last time.

Then the song was finished, and the audience applauded while looking at him in sorrow. Jamal guessed they really did like being sad.

Hakeem and Lucious were applauding too, which was surprising as hell. Lucious actually looked...proud? But most importantly, Mateo was cheering louder than anybody. He added some whistles in while saying, "Yeah! Give it up for Jamal Lyon!"

That made the audience cheer ten times
louder. Jamal bowed and smiled at everyone, and then smiled at Mateo. Because honestly, Mateo was his number one supporter. He didn't know what he'd do without him.