awkward

The best part about your little hookup with Rafe is that it's now day four and you haven't heard from him. Sweet.

You weren't sure where you went wrong. Was it the fact that you let him touch you first, or was it the fact that you reciprocated? Was this whole arrangement a ruse just so he could get off? You weren't 100% sure it wasn't.

There was no denying that you were developing some feelings for Rafe. He was clearly a different person than he had been in high school, and fuck if you weren't starting to fall for that new person he'd become. He was still the handsome, charming guy he's always been, just better somehow, and it was fucking everything up.

Two blocks down the street, Rafe is having similar thoughts. He was no longer denying the fact that he'd always had a thing for you, but now he was afraid you'd moved too fast and everything was messed up now. He didn't know how to navigate the waters of your fake relationship now, because it no longer felt fake. He wasn't sure if you felt the same way about him as he felt about you, and he was much too scared to just ask you outright. That seemed too risky.

So he hadn't texted you, called you, or made any attempt to contact you in anyway. It was hard for him, because you posted an absolute thirst trap on your story the day before, clearly meant to catch his attention. He wasn't tagged in it, but he knew it was meant for him, based on the caption typed over your provocative bikini photo that said "all by my lonesome in the pool today". The angle of your tits in the picture was so perfect, he wanted to scream.

So there you were, half a week past the best orgasm of your life, utterly confused about everything. You'd talked everything out with Allie, and she's managed to get you to admit that maybe you actually liked Rafe, and maybe it had been that way for a while, although your stubbornness had made it incredibly difficult for her to get it out of you in the first place.

Now that you were letting yourself settle into the idea, you were letting yourself think about all the ways you had unknowingly been into Rafe for all those years. The way you always had to know his business. The satisfaction you felt when you had witnessed another breakup of him and Charlotte in the lunchroom. The adrenaline surge that coursed through you whenever you managed to make an impeccably timed quip about a misogynistic comment he made. You had come to the realization that even an argument with Rafe spurred your feelings, and now that you'd had a taste of what he could do for you physically, the one moment in the hot tub would never be enough.

You're downtown at the grocery store, your mom's shopping list clutched in your hand as you pushed a cart down the cereal aisle. You only had a few more things to grab and you would be done.

You stop to grab a box from the shelf when you hear your name being called. You look up in the direction the voice is coming from and see Topper coming down the aisle, a loaf of bread in hand.

"Hey, y/n, what's up?" he asks.

You shrug. "Not much, doing some shopping for my mom."

He nods. "You talked to Rafe lately?" he asks.

"Not since I saw him on Friday," you reply.

"Oh, okay. Did you end up leaving when we did?"

The way he asks the question tells you that he already knows the answer. Of course Rafe told him you had hooked up on the hot tub. They had probably laughed about it together, talking about how easy it had been for you to give in to him. You imagined them high-fiving over Rafe getting exactly what he wanted from you.

"I left not long after you did," you answer.

"Hmm," he says. "And you haven't talked to him?"

"No. Haven't heard from him," you tell him.