the after party

When Midsummers is over, the crowd disperses pretty quickly. The adults leave the country club, and everyone you know heads over to the resort. Everyone is too lazy to take the stairs, so you pack the elevators full to go up to the fourth floor.

It's chaos as soon as the elevators open with the first round of people. Kelce is shouting out the suite number where all the alcohol is, and people begin clamoring down the hall, talking and laughing loudly.

Before long, you've got a drink in your hand, and you're trying your best to relax. You'd lost Rafe momentarily (you assumed that he was semi-hosting with Kelce and Topper) so you're hanging with Allie and Liz.

"Babe, I need you to not get sick and puke again," Allie says to her as you look around at everyone.

"I'm not planning on it," Liz assures her. "Honestly? I'm kind of trying to get laid tonight."

You and Allie laugh. "Okay then," Allie says. "What about you, y/n?"

"What about me?" you ask.

She rolls her eyes. "Never mind." She sips her drink and looks around. "There's your man," she says, pointing to the back of the suite, where Rafe has been backed into a corner by James. You'd barely caught a glimpse of him at Midsummers, but of course you were going to have to deal with him at this party.

You sigh. "Fuck, can't he just go away?" you ask rhetorically. "I'll go save him."

"You do that," Liz says, smirking at Allie over the rim of her cup.

You ignore her and head towards Rafe and James. Rafe eyebrows are furrowed together as he listens to whatever James is saying to him. You move around James, tucking yourself into Rafe's side when he reaches out to you.

"Hey, can you fuck off?" you ask, looking at James, showing your annoyance.

"We're having a conversation," he says, turning his attention back to Rafe. "Anyway, like I was saying, you've had your fun with her, but you need to give it up."

"Excuse me?" you interrupt. "I know you aren't talking about me."

"Listen, I get that you wanted to like, pay me back for cheating or whatever, but you got your point across, so I was just telling Rafe here that you guys can drop it," James explains.

"And like I told you, you don't get to dictate who I date," Rafe says. "You even approaching me about this is fucking weird."

James sighs and pinches the bridge of his nose. "Okay, fine. We'll just do this the easy way. Y/n, him or me?"

What the actual fuck? "Is that even a question?" you ask, unable to hide your reaction over how utterly ridiculous this conversation is right now.

"It shouldn't have to be, but here we are," James says. He gives you an expectant look. "Well?" he prompts.

"You're serious?" you ask. "You're actually serious right now."

"Yeah. Him or me?" he repeats.

"Him, obviously," you answer, and Rafe can't help but feel triumphant, even though your only other choice is your ex who cheated on you.

James looks shocked. "Wow. Wow." He shakes his head. "You know, y/n, I really hate your fucking guts sometimes."

"You hate my guts?" you repeat, laughing at the outlandish comment. "Is it because you could never reach them, or...?"

James's cheeks redden with embarrassment. "Fuck you," he says angrily. "Fuck you both." He gives Rafe an angry look before turning on his heel and walking off.